Performance Mods and Project Quads Share and ask for information about modifying your ATV or building project quads.

Recon Performance

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2008 | 11:08 PM
|
Weekend Warrior
Default Recon Performance

I have a 2001 Honda Recon 250. I installed a CZR Muffler and Mid Pipe, Uni Air Filter, and opened up the stock snorkel to allow more air into the air box. Next i am going to purchase a jet kit but all i seem to find is the stage 1 kit for the recon. The 250ex has a stage 1 and 2 kit, will the 250ex kit work with the Recon? Ive been riding since I was 4 and that was 18 years ago, this quad is like an electric scooter to me, I would just go out and buy a 450r but my gf wouldnt allow me to keep it in my apartments living room. Honestly what the hell is wrong with her?! I said the kids would love it. Recon takes up the garage and I cant sell it cause it was my first quad and i want my kids to learn on it. Anyways, i also want to get a head pipe for my exhaust. Anyone know anything about the jet kits, the headpipe, and anymore mods i can do to a recon? Anything would be great and helpful. Im looking for new tires also, i dont want bigger than stock, im looking for mild racing/offroad tires, not 100% mudding tires. Thanks

Old 01-09-2008 | 11:31 PM
Pro Rider

im thinking 250ex mods will work since it is the same engine; only that the 250ex has a different cam, carb and stuff from the factory. it is also lighter. kids do love the recon- but my concern with it is the wieght of it if they flip or roll it; a kids body english isnt really enough for this bike. i dont know how old your kids are or how tall, skill level,etc i just speak that in general. it is a good beginners bike though b/c its rugged, reliable ,handles decent.... it will go through some pretty good mud even stock. my bro has one and its amazing the stuff heas has done with it. it is definately a tough quad!

Old 01-14-2008 | 12:49 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

I'll just be up front with you. Modding a recon is just a lost cause. No matter what you do to it, it's still geared way too low to make any noticable improvement over stock. They are good tough and fun little quads, and I had one for a long time. I don't regret selling it though, once you get to the point where your skills overpower it, there's nothing you can do that's going to satisfy you. I say either leave the recon the way it is, or take your ***** back off your girlfriend's keychain and go buy yourself a better quad. How small is your garage you can only fit one quad in it anyways?

You don't need to buy a jet kit either, just find out what size jet the manufacturer of your exhaust recommends, go to a dealer, and buy that jet. Jet kits are just plain and simple a waste of money. Why buy 12 jets when you only need one?

Old 01-14-2008 | 01:35 AM
TLC
Extreme Pro Rider
God forbid he lets the polishing secret out!

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>im thinking 250ex mods will work since it is the same engine; only that the 250ex has a different cam, carb and stuff from the factory.</end quote></div>

I think both the Recon and 250EX use the same 22mm carb.

Old 02-24-2008 | 07:50 PM
Trailblazer

this is just an off the top of my mind idea but they might make performance cdi`s for them and if not theyre probably the same as the 250ex sportrax so you could just buy one for the sportrax that gives a good gain, but im not sure what it would do to the engine or if it would even fit.

Old 02-24-2008 | 09:28 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

A rev box is pointless on one of these engines. They hit their peak power way before they hit the rev limiter, so reving it higher will just slow you down and put more unneeded stress on the engine.