Performance Mods and Project Quads Share and ask for information about modifying your ATV or building project quads.

400EX pipe ?

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2000, 12:01 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Onewldcat,

I've been researching 400EX pipes for some time now. Here's a site you can go to for some detailed pics of the LRD system.
http://home.earthlink.net/~gellett/400ex/
It's not a chromed system, but I imagine it's one of the better made systems. I have an LRD system on my 88 TRX250R and it's held up well and performs great.

Lightninn

Old 01-03-2000, 01:15 PM
Pro Rider

Yea, Those are my pic,s. It is a great pipe, With steped pipe configuration. Or known as (Reversion).

I belive they were the first with reversion, But in this business nothing lasts long.

It,s about as loud as a "blast furnace", non spark arested and repackable. And desined to fit motors that are stock or moded in the future to big bore.

The one you see is plane steel(mine) and is starting to rust even thow it was painted. I would sugest spending the extra $60 to get it cromed.( An LRD option) I didn't and regret it.

Arlen of LRD is very helpfull and knologeable, But is a very busy man, And hard to get on the phone.

Right now I,m looking at the DS650 slip on to see if it could fit on the EX.It's big and has 650 cc flow rate.I may be able to return to stealth mode without hampering performance???????

We'll see. Later.

Old 01-03-2000, 02:00 PM
Trailblazer

Is the LRD not stainless stell like the rest?

Old 01-03-2000, 05:54 PM
Pro Rider

Evan,

An 8-horsepower increase with a Big Gun exhaust system . . . yeah right! Show me a dyno test. There is no way exhaust will add eight ponies. Over stock, that is almost a 30% increase. No way!

GT Thunder, a race shop, did a 400EX exhaust shootout, which included a Big Gun system, and it added a 2% increase in horsepower. GT Thunder's 425 cc race bike makes about 38 horsepower, 10 additional horsepower for a 36% increase. There is no way an exhaust system will add 8 horsepower.

Check out the dynos at GT Thunder's page.
http://www.geocities.com/~gtthunder/gt1.html

[This message has been edited by Mike Frey (edited 01-03-2000).]

Old 01-03-2000, 09:07 PM
Trailblazer

I got a chance to LRD today and got the scoop on their 400ex pipe. It is a complete system that was selling for $229. Now they have re-engineered it and after the first of this month it went up to $300. The headpipe is cold rolled steal not stainless. If you want it chromed, it will cost you a total of $365. So it is now higher than a Big Gun. They are also working on a pipe designed for a 440EX to better exaust bored 400ex's.(it isn't available yet).

Old 01-03-2000, 09:15 PM
Trailblazer

You guys may be disappointed in me after all your great replys for me on this topic. I went to the dunes this weekend and was unhappy with climbing performance from my new 400. So I came home ready for a pipe. I was going with a LRD untill I got the new pricing. So I went to my mechanic and ordered a Yoshimura aluminum slip-on. He asked did I want the head pipe? I replied, will it help? He said that is was pretty much the same as the stock, only chromed. He said that if I later added the headpipe, he didn't beleive I would notice the difference. So this week I will be installing a Yoshimura Standard slip-on, a uni-filter, and a jet kit. I will test it this weekend if the weather permits!

Old 01-04-2000, 03:47 PM
Trailblazer

How much was the yoshi, slip on?

thanks

Steven

Old 01-04-2000, 04:47 PM
Range Rover

Good for you! I to am unhappy with my 400EX's engine! Its great and all, it just needs some bang to it.
Mike, I got those reading from the web site. that is with the header and slip on. check it out for your self. i still may be wrong.

------------------
Evan Johnson 99 400EX 88 LT250R

I apologize ahead of time for my bad spelling/typing

Old 01-04-2000, 04:51 PM
Pro Rider

I still don't think there is any way an exhaust system can add 8-horsepower. And if you got the number off Big Gun's site, they are probably bending the truth a little bit to make their pipe seem better than the other exhaust manufacturers.

Old 01-04-2000, 06:42 PM
Trailblazer

The Yoshi slip-on standard which is aluminum, sells for $229. I can get it for $220. but my mechanic called today and it is back ordered so he suggessted I wait and see what he can do on a LRD complete system. He will be a dealer for them by the end of this week. So, I shall wait!

Quick Reply: 400EX pipe ?