Performance Mods and Project Quads Share and ask for information about modifying your ATV or building project quads.

i just don't get it

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2001 | 08:36 PM
|
Trailblazer

well, i put on a brand new spark plug on and when i did run it i got it to like 4th and i checked the plug and it was black. ill try that though, i hope your right, thanks man

Old 01-29-2001 | 08:45 PM
Pro Rider

If your throttle is still sticking your throttle cable could of loosend on the top of your carb pulling on the cable. Adjust accordingly. Up your jetting.

Old 01-29-2001 | 10:56 PM
Trailblazer

hey i have a blaster and the motor started to race on me for no reason if this happens to you shut the key off if that doesn't help turn the gas off and pull in the clutch put it in gear and slowly let out and the motor will slowly die out it happens trust me it has happened before twice to me

Old 01-29-2001 | 10:59 PM
|
Trailblazer

well, if i jsut give it full gas it bogs and if i don't give it any, what jet is that, if i turn the screw thing will that make it better, or the main or pilot, i don't know these things

Old 01-30-2001 | 01:44 AM
Weekend Warrior

when you add new reeds and a spacer , like boysen, you need to rejet to a SMALLER size. just like it says on the box. thats why your plug is black, too much gas. read the instructions.......

Old 01-30-2001 | 02:05 AM
Weekend Warrior

start with the main jet, thats the brass hex shaped thing with a small hole in it and a number stamped on it. its in the bottom of your carb in the bowl. for example , if it says 230 go down to a 220 or 210. turn the air screw all the way in , then turn it out one and a half turns. put a new plug in and start it up and ride it a little, then check the colcr of the plug. should be tan to brown, if its white you went too small on the jet, go bigger 10, if its still black go smaller 10. and dont forget to gap the plug befor you install it.

Old 01-30-2001 | 05:41 AM
Weekend Warrior

It still sounds like your reeds arent installed correctly. Some reeds come with different reed stops some use your old ones. I would guess you have a reed that isnt sealing. Go back and read your instructions on how to install your reeds. Reeds will affect your idle and starting alot more than your mid or high rpms. I have heard of some drag bikes that dont even use reeds because they are a restriction at high rpms and dont care about idling. Dont know if theres any truth to it or not. Just my .02

Old 01-30-2001 | 04:20 PM
Trailblazer

I have to agree.
Sounds like something was not installed correctly. Just installing reeds and a reed spacer will not affect the jetting very much. It should still run with the jetting that you started with. Did it run before you changed the reeds? Sounds like it is lean on the bottom end. I would look for a plugged jet.

Old 01-30-2001 | 04:41 PM
Trailblazer

I reread your post. The revving like the throttle is sticking is a sure sign of an airleak. Check the carb boot and sealing surfaces of the reed spacer and reed block. Also check to see that the carb cap is screwed on correctly.

Old 01-31-2001 | 07:42 AM
Pro Rider

Depending on what you ride K&N Offers jetkits from dynojet that are matched to the k&n filter, Invest in this, its well worth it. When you put the K&N Filter on, you lean your bike out, dont ride it until you get everything setup and running properly, unless you want some new pistons. Get the jetkit, if that doesnt work then you probably have an airleak, or you didnt put your carbs back together correctly..