Performance Mods and Project Quads Share and ask for information about modifying your ATV or building project quads.

2 stroke smoke!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2001 | 09:35 AM
|
Trailblazer

I have a 1990 blaster that I just got out from winter storage. I put new gas and a new plug in and when I start it up it smokes like crazy!!! After the engine warms up for 20 min it smokes less. After I ride it for about 1 hour it does not smoke that bad. However after I let it cool down for about 3 hours. When I start it back up again it smokes like crazy again!!! What should I look at and whats wrong? seals, plug, gas, oil..???????

Old 03-19-2001 | 03:52 PM
Range Rover

what ratio are youi mixing the gas/oil? have you did any plug chops?

Old 03-19-2001 | 05:32 PM
|
Trailblazer

I don't remember what i put in there...... I will have to check when I"m back out there. If its not running to rich what else could it be? Its still stock and hasn't had a rebuild yet. I hope thats not what it is....

Old 03-22-2001 | 12:22 PM
Pro Rider

If it was a 4 stroke it would sound like you are having oil leak into the combustion chamber through the valve guides while parked, and when riding oil is getting into the combustion chamber through the valve guides and also past the piston rings.

But since it is a two stroke.

Change over to an oil rated FC at the minimum
or ISO-L-EGD which is the best rating you can get in a two stroke motor oil.

Both of these oils will reduce smoking.

Sounds like maybe your carb may be draining into the crankcase slightly while parked. Check out the inlet needle valve and replace it and the seat if necessary. Also check your float level.

Old 03-22-2001 | 03:10 PM
Pro Rider

I run Powerplus Castor/Sunthetic Blend in my son'e Blaster Injector bottle with no problems.

It smokes a bit, but that is due to the stock injection ratio being somewhere around 24 to 1.

Old 03-22-2001 | 05:28 PM
Pro Rider

There is nothing better than the smell of two strocks in the morning.

Old 03-27-2001 | 07:58 PM
Weekend Warrior

Well i believe you probably have excessive carbon buildup in your exhaust. Your motor smokes when cold because this carbon buildup hasn't gotten hot enough to burn off therfore emitting excessive smoke. Once your motor gets up to temp it will burn off most of this carbon. this is a typical problem of two stroke motors because they typically only burn approximately 2/3 of their fuel mixture. Remove your exhaust, heat it with a propane torch(outside of the garage!) and watch the smoke billow of of your exhaust. You can tap it lightly with a piece of wood to help remove the carbon from inside. If you can find some type of cylindrical brush to aid in removing carbon from inside of the pipe, this will help also. I've seen too many people change fuel mixtures or oils or even jetting to solve this simple problem only to result in a meltdown. Hey your blaster is a 1990. It's had a lot of exhaust through it. Where do you think that other 1/3 of fuel mixture goes through before leaving the exhaust pipe. Try this, it's free and it works. Good luck. Chuck. Please leave a reply if you have any luck.

Old 03-28-2001 | 11:22 AM
Pro Rider

stock piston since 1990? man, ur piston is TIRED. do a top end job on it before the skirt breaks, then you're looking at big dollars.

Old 03-28-2001 | 09:27 PM
Range Rover

take your pipe down to your local auto machine shop and have them put the pipe in the "hot tank" they clean blocks in,leave it there for several days and then hose it out with hot water. you will need to repaint the pipe because it will take off the paint.