Performance Mods and Project Quads Share and ask for information about modifying your ATV or building project quads.

K&N AIR FILTER QUESTION

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2001, 11:58 AM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a 400ex I just put on a K&N filter and outerware, E Series slip on pipe and re-jetted carb to 165. The mechanic from the cycle shop said they do not recommend K&N filters they don"t even stock them because they suck in way to much dirt, they found always a problem when they are fixing them.I ran it one day with the lid off I am going to put the lid back on and use the air box plugs. What do you guys think, They did say you could be alright if you clean the filter after every use. Looking for opions.

Old 11-04-2001, 06:27 PM
Pro Rider

Out here in the desert, we have dust like you can't imagine! These are probably the worst conditions to which you could subject a filter. I have run K&N for years on all our bikes with no problems. I always run an outerwears, and clean the filter whenever the outerwears looks dirty. On a long dusty all day ride, I will take a spare Outerwears and change it out half way through the day.

Old 11-06-2001, 11:07 AM
zoo
Pro Rider

I run both my quads with K&Ns and outwears and have yet to have any problems with them. A couple of things could cause problems: 1) If they are not cleaned and more importantly if you do not apply the K&N oil on correctly. 2) If the air filter is not seated properly to the intake, then you will suck in dirt/sand/water into the motor.

Also be aware that shops will in most cases not recommend products if they do not sale them (they receive no cut in the profit if they send you to another shop for items they do not sale)

Old 11-14-2001, 05:36 PM
Trailblazer

Where can I get one of those slip on prefilters for the K&N filter? I need it for an LT500R.

Old 11-15-2001, 09:59 AM
zoo
Pro Rider

I picked mine up from a mail order company a few years ago, you can check any ATV mag and it will have a few advertisers that sell them for the LT500s. One thing to be aware of; with the way the stock airbox is designed and if you are using a screw-on K&N filter (bolt goes through the center of filter), it is a royal pain to get a pre-filter on.

I run my filter without the box, from the carb using a semi radiator hose to the filter with a moose pre-filter. The K&N still sits under the seat approximately where the box used to be.

Old 11-15-2001, 11:42 AM
Range Rover

Moto-Man sells them fo Zillas.

Old 11-20-2001, 07:35 PM
Range Rover

im a beginner so this sounds stupid but how do you clean the outwear and do you have to clean the filter and if you do how do you and how often?

Old 11-21-2001, 10:51 AM
zoo
Pro Rider

I clean my outerwears with mild dish soap and rinse thoroughly and let air dry, and yes you should still clean your filter, even if no dirt ever gets past the outerwear the oil you spray on the filter will eventually breakdown.

Most people who run this setup will carry extra outerwears so they can just throw on a new outerwear during a long weekend ride.

Old 11-21-2001, 03:43 PM
Pro Rider

My K&N filter is very dirty, how do you clean it and where do you get the oil at?
thanx!

Old 11-22-2001, 01:06 PM
Range Rover

You can buy the cleaners anywhere and it is very easy to clean, it is alot easier then your standard foam filter cleaner. Go to you local motercycle shop it is not worth it to buy this on line you will spend $5.00 just for shipping. It is a sparay cleaner and oil it comes in a kit.
2002 Honda 400ex
ac racing nerfs
ac bumper
e-series slip on pipe
K&N jet kit and filter

Quick Reply: K&N AIR FILTER QUESTION