Performance Mods and Project Quads Share and ask for information about modifying your ATV or building project quads.

Need help with banshee electronics

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2002, 04:07 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was riding my banshee last fall and it all of a sudden quit.I checked everything and it turned out it had no spark. The taillight still lights up when i kick it but no spark at all. I need help please\
thanx eveyone

inspiron

Old 01-27-2002, 06:16 PM
Trailblazer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Lighting system is separate from the ignition system, so you can have lighting without having spark.
1st try unplugging the TORRs if you still have them on the bike. If this does not work, check the resistance from the source coil wires coming from the "flywheel" cover. Don't confuse them with the lighting stator wires. If you have no or infinte resistance on the source coil, the source coil is bad - you can call your local Yamaha dealer and ask for the service department - they should be able to give you the exact resistance readings and probably which wires to measure the resistance on(unfortunantly if the source coil is bad, you have to by the whole lighting assembly for this which is about $300). If you have some resistance, then most likely your CDI unit is bad, look for about $375 to replace it. Very rarely does the ignition coil go bad, and usual symptoms of a defective coil is it works when cold, quits when hot.
You can find parts breakdowns and prices on www.powersportspro.com and I've found they are quite a bit cheaper than buying from the Dealer.