Performance Mods and Project Quads Share and ask for information about modifying your ATV or building project quads.

300ex dilema

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2002, 08:53 AM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello,
I have a couple questions, a distant friend of mine has a 300ex that he just had rebuilt not long ago that he said he will sell to me for $1000.00. It has ran good since it was rebuilt but it will now not start up. The wiring must be messed up because it will not do anything when you try to start it up. Also with this new performance camshaft, the rev limiter comes on at about half throttle. He said something about getting the chip re burnt, I am not very firmiliar with this, could you please give me your opinion?

By the way the quad is in very good condition, it has new plastic and wheels/tires.
Thanks Steve

Old 07-25-2002, 01:19 PM
Trailblazer

i would see if he would take it to someone and make sure what the problems are,or let you take it,i would definatly find out what the deal was first,the price sounds really good,but not if you are gonna have to stick another 1000 or more into it to fix it

Old 07-25-2002, 10:00 PM
Pro Rider

Go to the Kelley Blue Book site for approximate worth of the quad. Also see if he has the stock parts, if he does make sure you get them in the deal. Maybe return the quad back to stock condition or as close as you can anyway and go from there. Sometimes mods can enhance the value of a quad and sometimes reduce it. I would always be wary of a quad that doesn't run and pay accordingly. Good luck!

Old 07-26-2002, 03:34 PM
Pro Rider

If someone offered me a 300ex for $1000, I would buy it almost regardless of its running condition. If it has new plastic/tires it is definetly worth it.

When you turn the key on in neutral, does the neutral light come on? Try turning the headlight on. If none of this works, it could be the battery. If it isn't the battery, there is a couple of places the wires could be grounded out. It might also be a simple switch. The most expensive will be the starter and for around $100 you can have it rebuilt.

I don't know what you mean about the rev limiter coming on at half throttle. The rev limiter controls the spark and cuts it back at high engine RPM's. You can buy or modify your CDI so it has no rev limit, but I don't recommend that. It is hard on your valvetrain to rev it past the factory setting.

I am guessing that it needs to be jetted. Wrong jetting can cause a stumble he is refering to as hitting the rev limiter.

Come to think about it. If the reverse sending wire is grounding out, it will cause a mid throttle rev limit and cause the bike not to start. This wire commonly grounds out. It is below a little black plat on the bottom of the clutch cover on the right side of the engine.

If you buy it and need help, PM me.

Old 07-26-2002, 07:31 PM
Pro Rider

Thats what I love about this forum, when you ask an intelligent question, you can get knowledgible responses back.
Cityboy, Alky is correct, at that price I would jump on that one too.
300ex is too good of a quad to let a deal like that go by.

Old 07-26-2002, 11:13 PM
Pro Rider

Think it'd be a good idea to run an extra wire from the switch ground to the negative terminal on the battery? I did this on my friends warrior and it solved his problems. The only thing is the neutral light stays on while he's in reverse but other then that the light works fine.