Performance Mods and Project Quads Share and ask for information about modifying your ATV or building project quads.

Blue and white smoke all the sudden help!!!

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2002, 11:31 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

friend has a 99 blaster he just got last weekend, a few days later it started to smoke, then smoke more everytime he rides it, now it's a constant white and blue-ish smoke when he gives it gas.He changed the crankcase oil, added YAMALUBE to the oil injector and cleaned the air filter and put in a new plug but still it smokes.He is the 3rd owner and it's never been rebuilt, all stock. It Didn't smoke when he got it, just a few days later and now it's this.The only place he rode it was up and down his driveway since he's had it.It starts on the first kick everytime, and still feels as fast as it did before when he got it last week, it's still pretty quick for a stock machine.So what's the deal? what's up with the smoke has this ever happened to anyone? what could it possibly be? I see no leaking gaskets, etc. no air leaks.

Old 09-15-2002, 12:44 AM
Pro Rider

How bad is the smoke? Everything smokes, some more than others. Mine smokes alot when I first start it up with the chokes on. then eventually it gets less and less as I ride.. Maybe he should call the dealer to get a opinion.

Old 09-15-2002, 02:19 AM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

check head gasket.

Old 09-15-2002, 11:17 AM
Quad Patrol
Don't let the hp numbers fool you. Its all in how you get it to the ground. Clutching clutching clutching!

Pull the plug and run a compresion check.If it is less than 100 lbs pull the head check head gasket if its not blown pull the jug and piston and get it bored and put in new piston and rings.Ditch the injector and pre mix at 40:1.

Old 09-22-2002, 03:02 AM
Weekend Warrior

smoke from a two stroke is ok when new engine is tight no a week later its breaking in unless it is excessvley smoking you shldnt worry, if your concerned contact dealer but also look into a oil injctn block off kit, the oil injctn has been known to fail, which then you will have to premix which isnt a big deal

Old 09-29-2002, 11:32 PM
Pro Rider

Blasters are notorious for injector problems.I would ditch the injector and mix the gas/oil some where between 32-40-1. 3-4 oz of oil per gallon.

Old 10-02-2002, 11:17 AM
Range Rover

<< Blasters are notorious for injector problems. I would ditch the injector and mix the gas/oil some where between 32-40-1. 3-4 oz of oil per gallon. >>

The blasters oil injection is next to bullet proof. 99.9% of the time it is owner error or neglect that causes the problems know with the injection system. Not too many people ever bother even to clean the system or work out any air locks that can get in the line from a roll or flip etc. Not to mention all the people that try and use premix oil in the injection system or run them dry.
It's amazing the amount of people that clean the carbs and chains and lube parts but NEVER touch the injection system.
BTW I worked for Yamaha for years and never heard of a faulty injection system. Like I said it is always owner error.
If you wish you can read my story over in the Yamaha forum about blaster piston life.

The engine will run longer using a heavier fuel/oil ratio because the stock system pumps at about 40:1 so most change to a premix set up for reliability but you must also re-jet after such a mod because it will lean out the overall fuel/air mix. Blocking off the system and not rejetting will not make the bike any more reliable.

BIFF
First thing to do is bleed the injection system by removing the pump cover on the right side and cracking loose the small Philips screw on the pump, allow a good amount of oil to run out into a clean container to make sure there are no bubble in the system. Then just tighten it up. You never know if the last owner ran it out of oil a time or two.
Check the compression.
If it is ok I would maybe thing a right side crank seal leak may be the problem but that sounds rare for such a new machine unless the thing has been run out of oil a time or two.

Old 10-02-2002, 12:59 PM
Pro Rider

Hardlydangerous,
I don't think you have your facts very straight because injections systems fail all the time. If you need more reassurance of that call Eric at Trenga racing and he can tell you. The stupidest thing you can ever do is to keep the injection system because it is a time bomb waiting to fail. If you plan on doing any mods save yourself the trouble and get rid of it. You don't want to be out on the trail somewhere when it blows

Old 10-02-2002, 01:35 PM
Range Rover

So what part of the injector fails?

I have been a motorcycle/ATV/sled/small/ mechanic for many years....Fixing, re-building is what I do.
I had my apprentice training from factory Yamaha (Beacon Marine Yamaha) Worked as a full time mechanic for Yamaha, Stihl and Arctic Cat I have only seen a couple of injectors go for a crap and like I said it was because of operator error. Not cleaning, inspecting, bleeding or running incorrect size or kind of lines and non injector oils.
There is nothing to the pump and its design. About the only thing that can go wrong is the drive gear wearing out. With proper cleaning and inspection you will never have a problem with the Blaster injection system.

Now for racing that is a different story... the injection system was said to run about 20:1 but I have done the math before and found it closer to 40:1 - 50:1. That’s perfect for trail riding using a synthetic. But for racing and WOT riding a 32:1 is a better mix so you can either buy the kit, do it your self for free or mix the fuel and run the injection.

Eric at Trenga will tell me anything to sell me one of his rip off block off kits.
There is no need to buy any parts to block off the injection system.

A few years back a few companies started sayin that the injectors were know to be bad just as a way to sell block off kits that you don't really need.

BTW send me a bad blaster injector then I will show you why it failed!
Now if some narrow minded idiot lets his blaster tranny low or even run dry, won't change the oil like they should, or decides he can use whatever oil he wants and burns up the injector drive well that’s not the pumps fault... I have my facts strait, look after it like it needs to be looked after and you will never have a problem

Old 10-02-2002, 06:41 PM
Pro Rider

Lol.. I like it Hardly. Way to prove some one wrong! I also agree with you. If it fails so often, why would yamaha be producing it for 15+ years? Exactly, they wouldnt produce it. But I dont really care, because its easier to just mix the gas..

NICK

Quick Reply: Blue and white smoke all the sudden help!!!