Performance Mods and Project Quads Share and ask for information about modifying your ATV or building project quads.

Rocky Ridge

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2000, 08:11 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would like to let people know of my dealings with Rocky Ridge. I sent them a frame over a year ago, today I just received it. Not only did it take a year, they charged me almost double what he said it would cost. I can not comment of the workmanship because I haven't seen it. I work out of state. My brother told me that he can't see where they did that much to it. I only had it refurbished, not the rx conversion.

Old 04-08-2000, 11:29 AM
Range Rover

Donfader,

It has been about six months for me on my RX conversion. I really hope that he doesn't charge me more than he quoted because I am going to be upset, really upset.

Old 04-08-2000, 03:20 PM
Pro Rider

If you have the quoted price in writing, he can't make you pay more than that. Thats why I always get everything in writing so that they cant go back and charge more once its done and force you to pay it.

Old 04-08-2000, 08:45 PM
Trailblazer

Hey guy's what does this place do to your frames? and what do they charge? I am a welder /fabricator and have done some welding and work on three wheeler and quad frames. I was just curious what all they do for you and what kinda money they are getting for it . I modified my buddies quad and he just loved it.... mainly cause I only charged him about 20 bucks for material. let me know what you guys are having done maybe it's somthing I can help you out with.

Old 04-09-2000, 12:10 PM
Weekend Warrior

Unfortunatly I did not get a written quote. As far as what was done to the frame was welding of all the cracks and renforced areas of the frame that are known to be weak. ATV connection did a story about Rocky Ridge a few years ago that could tell you more. Minus the sandblasting and powdercoating, the materials and labor shouldn't be worth more than a couple hundred dollars. The prices listed in the story on ATV connection are what was quoted to me but they ended up charging me $600.

Old 04-10-2000, 11:15 AM
Pro Rider

I just spoke with Ken at Rocky Ridge and he quoted me on a 350RX Conversion to be $700.00 He told me that he sand blast the frame, Put in 12 gussets on the weak areas, Runs the frame through a process called Magnefluxing. Its a chemical they put on metal and then under ultra violet lighting the cracks appear. He will weld up the cracks. For the 350x motor to fit in the R chassis He widens the lower frame rails to allow the engine to sit lower and align the front sprocket with the pivot on the swing arm. Fabricates new motor mounts and then puts on a new powdercoat. He does this for the price mentioned above. He also told me that there would be a three month wait to get my frame back.

Old 04-12-2000, 12:37 AM
Trailblazer

Yeah, I learned the hard way too. I gave him the money up front to do my frame. Even gave him an extra hundred bucks to get it done sooner. after six months and a BUNCH of fussing, he finally sent my frame back- UNPOWDERCOATED!!!!! The way he made it seem was that if I tried to do the conversion myself, the chain would always get loose when the suspension was compressed. Guess what? It does it anyway!!!! A buddy of mine looked at my conversion and kinda copied it, but he got the front sprocket lined up better so that the chain actually tightens when the suspension compresses. I think Ken Cornwell has the ultimate SCAM going right now. It would be different if he told people in advance that it was going to take him 6 months to a year!!!!