Performance Mods and Project Quads Share and ask for information about modifying your ATV or building project quads.

King Quad project

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2003, 01:48 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default King Quad

Hopefully I'll get a little more help from you guys.
Repost from the Suzuki forum:

Hello all, new guy here. Just found this board a while ago and think it's great. I have a 99 King Quad and it's a spectacular machine. After riding numerous ATVs for over 15 years, this has been the best one yet. I bought it new in 99 and have put over 2600 miles on it, most of which are in mud. As you have guessed, it has NO brakes, but that is the only problem thus far and the reliability has been rock-solid, even in cold temps. So far, I've only put a set of 26x12 Goodyear Tracker Mudrunners on the back. The only other quad around here right now that can out pull or hang with me in the mud is a '00 500 Sportsman with 26x12 Mudrunners all around. And someone around here is getting one of those awsome 650 Praries before long and I need to get ready to take on him. I might get one of those one day, but I will always have the King no matter what. FWIW, I pulled my dad's MAX IV 6X6 out of a bog in a field this afternoon.

I want to have another "project" to hot-rod and the King Quad seems to be the perfect choice. I'm thinking of getting a set of 27x12 tires for the back and 26x11 for the front (not sure which yet). I'm concerned about the power issue with the bigger tires. A high-flow filter and a jet kit is in order but I don't plan on ditching the stock muffler b/c I ride in deep water streams and ponds around here a lot. I remember Mickey Dunlap from Four Stroke Tech used to have a 331cc big bore kit for the King Quad called the "Torque Monster" package. I haven't been able to get in touch with him and want to know if his kit is still available. If it is, I want to do this along with a home port-job on the head and possibly send my stock cam to have a company (such as Crane, Comp Cams, etc) map it and grind me a new cam to my specs. I also want to go with about a 35mm carb to ensure enough flow for the added displacement and maintain proper port velocity for low end torque. Low and mid-range is all I'm looking for, top-end doesn't matter.

I am an engineer, heavily involved in drag racing and know how to build an engine to perform how I want it to, so don't worry about the details. I just need to know a few things:

Is the FST kit still available? Any other companies make them for KQs?
Has anyone here done a big-bore kit on a KQ? How did it perform?
Will the stock clutch/tranny handle the added stress from the above mods?

I also have access to a machine shop, so custom parts should not be too much of a problem. I just hope I won't have to make a custom sleeve or order a custom piston. At that point, just the intake, jet kit, and port-job is all the KQ will get and the gearing will have to deal with the bigger tires.

Thanks,
JB

Old 01-05-2003, 04:33 AM
Trailblazer
Default King Quad project

Hey JB, My friend you sound like you have one hell of a setup. I don't know much about ute quads but I do like to play in the mud on my trike occasionally.

Anyway, the REAL reason I am replying to this post is because you say that you are into drag racing, well down here in KY we do alot of dirt drags and I am in the process of building my bike (85 atc 200x) for drag racing.. I would like to know if you would do cutom work as a side job... You sound like you really know your stuff, and i want to work with someone that has experience, not just book knowledge. If you would please get back to me and let me know, thanks
Josh

Old 01-05-2003, 12:21 PM
Trailblazer

Well, my drag experience comes from cars, not ATVs or bikes. I have a 95 LT1 Camaro Z28 I just got last summer and an 87 Buick Grand National I've been working on for a few years. On the stock long block, the Buick is pushing over 400 horses to the wheels(about 480 or so at the crank) and running mid- to high- 11s in the quarter, depending on the weather. My neighbor's 86 GN just turned a 10.96 @ 125 at Darlington Dragway on a heads/cam package and 25psi of boost. On the launch, he pulled the front tires off the ground for almost 20 feet. Two of my other friends have 99 and 00 SS Camaros also.

Like I said, seriously modding ATVs is pretty much new to me and I want to get into it. Drag racing cars is what I'm familiar with, but all engines run off the same priciples so the transition shouldn't be too bad. I just hope my past experience will help. When the Dunlap forum opens, he'll be hearing alot from me.

So do you run things like N2O or alky injection on your bikes? Ever dig into the engines? Sounds like ya'll have a blast. If you have any questions about your engine or about the priciples I mentioned above, just ask. I'll try my best to apply it to your bike. Truely understanding how an engine works will help you a lot. Things like Compression and Expansion waves, fluid dynamics, statics, flame travel, etc. all combine to make an engine run.

Old 01-05-2003, 02:14 PM
Trailblazer

Well, thanks for the reply but I didn't mean it as I don't know crap about motors or anything, LOL... I actualy have quite a bit of knowledge when it comes to motors, what I don't have is accessability to a shop, and the experience in drag racing anything.

As far as you asking if we are running NOS or alky on anything, just about every four stroke except for a couple down here run alky, it is a big improvement over the stock classes we used to ru, thats for sure... but I don't lan on running alchol on my bike, to much possibility of damage...