Performance Mods and Project Quads Share and ask for information about modifying your ATV or building project quads.

ski-doo motor in 79 odyssey????

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2003, 01:11 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ski-doo motor in 79 odyssey????

hey guys.....i have an old ski doo snomibile laying around...real old school...399 bombardier twin. i also have a 79 fl250 odyssey laying around.....i was wondering what i would have to do to the motor to make it run in summer...jetting?? the drive belts are nearly exactly the same size...and i think it would fit nicely...but im told that the snowmobile engine will overheat in the summer....it is air cooled with a fan...am my being bs'd or will it not run right in the summer...?------has anyone ever done any kind of engine swap to an odyssey?i really want to go four stroke for dependability(and i want rear suspention...but thats a different project)...but ill work with what i got....besides that thing would friggin haul with a 399 twin on it......

Old 03-10-2003, 10:37 AM
Trailblazer

I don't see why the Skidoo motor wouldn't work in the Odyssey. When I was growing up my buddy had an old fl250 that was fully stock. The engine was equiped with snowmobile clutches. As far as the overheating, I know guys that have run Yamaha Phasers in very warm weather without any problems. However, they were much newer machines. If you have both of them laying around it never hurts to try it out as a project.

Old 05-05-2003, 06:53 PM
Weekend Warrior

I have a 83 odyssey with a 440 rotax on it. you need to jet it leaner cause there is less air in the heat. mine runs all day at the dunes without heating up and thats with the fan cooled motor also.it will be fine i run my fuel at 40:1 and make sure to use a good oil like klotz!

Old 05-08-2003, 12:04 AM
Pro Rider

hey man.....i did the conversion recently, it seems to work well, but i dont know where to get jets, and how to go about jettin it, oh....and how did you set up the belt drive???? i have found that the odyssey belt works best...using the stock rear drive pulley. when mine heats up it tends to idle high...to the point of takin off hahahaa...and one other question.....the original snowmobile had two fuel lines(return, pressure??) i am running one up to my gravity feed tank, but im not sure what to do with the other one...i ve got it plugged off now, but im not sure thats the way to do it.....-----the engine seems not to be performing too well, do you think this is because of the jetting? i cant believe someone else did the same conversion....i cant do nothin original nowadays hehehe its all been done..........you use 40:1 in a 440 rotax? wow i been mixin like 30:1 no wonder its not performin

Old 05-08-2003, 01:39 AM
Weekend Warrior

hi i am puting a 500cc articat motor in my 1980 fl 250 but i need some help how do i mount the motor corectly with out the recoil hiting my tire and haveing the clutch line up corectly and how fast will it go with this motor it is geared low like 9:1 it takes the tire to turn 9 times befoe the driven clutch turns 1 is that how they all are or what i think all it will do is spin the tires all the way to like 50 mph and than thats all the faster it will go but mabey im wrong?

thanx if you want pics of the swap email me at maddog_yz80@hotmail.com

Old 05-10-2003, 11:27 PM
Pro Rider

odynut....im not sure of the dimensions of you specific engine/clutch combo.....but to answer your last question, yes...the clutch on the odyssey does seem like it spins many times for one turn of the wheel.....but think of it this way...your judging the speed of that clutch its outside revolutions....but in reality, the belt rides down closer to the axle. you can always get a thinner belt to let it ride out on the pulley more....giving it better top end.....but the gearing on the snowmobile clutch with the odyssey stock belt should work well. you will have some delay....like a stall converter in a racecar...i used a 2x8 and some exhaust clamps(no access to a welder) to mount my engine, had to cut the rear cage frame thingy, well, the right side of it anyway....anyway...where are you located?? all us snowmobile powered odyssey guys should meet up or at least get our own forum.....gettin pretty popular apparently hehehehehe email me for some pics....ill try to get them up but my computer doesent perform like my odyssey..........

Old 05-11-2003, 12:32 AM
Pro Rider

i looked at buying one a while back... but the job was so poorly done...it was all oily, he had to ditz with it to start it, it didnt run right, overall a hash job. so i passed it by. But i dont see why it wouldnt work...sounds like fun if done correctly!