Performance Mods and Project Quads Share and ask for information about modifying your ATV or building project quads.

Making your own exhaust

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2003 | 12:25 AM
|
Trailblazer
Default Making your own exhaust

Am I crazy for thinking that I can make my own exhaust? All I would need is a Supertrap and a pile of mandrel bends a welder and cutoff wheel and time. What do you guys think?

Old 03-31-2003 | 11:27 PM
Trailblazer

Do you know what thermodynamics is???????????????
I own a 275 lincoln tig welder, what one you own??
Have you ever worked and formed sheet metal????

Old 03-31-2003 | 11:36 PM
Elite Pro Rider

if you want to do something like that, just modify your stock exhaust. I am not sure about the kfx, but some of the other quads, namely the 400ex and raptor have a 4 chamber exhaust. You can open up the pipe and cut out the barriers b/w the chambers and that will give you a little more hp and sound for no cost at all.

Old 04-01-2003 | 02:18 AM
|
Trailblazer

I own a 275 lincoln tig welder, what one you own??

I can get my hands on a tig a mig or a stick welder to do the welding thats not a problem.

Have you ever worked and formed sheet metal????

Thats not sheet metal, it's tubing.
Sheet metal is the stuff out side of airplanes are made out of. mmmmm Yeah i'm a aircraft tech. So the answer to that one would be YES.....

Do you know what thermodynamics is???????????????

Nope and don't see why it would help to much.
Aftermarket pipes are bigger with about the same bends. That is all i'm going to be doing.

Why do something like that because thats the way I am. I built a twin turbo kit for my 86 351 carb'ed mustang because guys at work said I couldn't do it.

Old 04-01-2003 | 04:27 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

Sounds like a heck of a fun project to me. If I had the time/skills/funds I might give it a try. I wouldn't, however, chop up my stock pipe to make myself a new one just incase I did botch it up. You will also need some kind of flanges to seal to the head.

Post some pics if you do it. I would really be intrested in how it turned out. Remember long smooth bends. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-cool.gif[/img]

Old 04-01-2003 | 07:57 AM
Elite Pro Rider

Friend of mine with a 400ex "unchambered" his pipe, said it was a very easy thing, but I imagine not for beginners. Aircraft skins are aluminum.

Old 04-01-2003 | 01:28 PM
|
Trailblazer

I"m going to buy a flange from the local ATV shop. No big deal there. The whole exhaust should cost just over 200 maybe 250 at the most. I"ll keep everyone up to speed about it.

Yes aircraft skin and most of the plane is aluminum.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Old 04-01-2003 | 03:22 PM
Pro Rider

have fun and make it scream!

Old 04-01-2003 | 05:53 PM
Pro Rider

Here is a good place for you to read on and understand the principles of Thermodynamics and There is also a Java Pipe Program on this site, it is good reading for anyone. Macdizzy It says 2 stroke, but there is alot on there for 4 strokers too.

Old 04-05-2003 | 01:53 AM
Weekend Warrior

do you know why your quad makes the power it does? You already answered that by no to thermodynamics. The whole reason it does is because of the principals of dynamics, thermodynamics, and physics. You need to master these subjects in order to build a pipe that will actually make power. Believe it or not there is a massive ammount of engineering that goes into the desgin and manafacturing of these systms, I should know. I spend every waking hour in the library trying to understand these subjects so I can actually become part of the design team that creates somthing that will actually work better than somebody who thinks that with a welder and a hacksaw they can make somthing better than an entire team of engineers. Good luck, it's not going to work how you think that it will

Quick Reply: Making your own exhaust