Polaris Ask an Expert! In fond memory of Old Polaris Tech. An area where experts in their field will answer non-general questions about your Polaris ATV.
"old polaris tech" and other experts will answer your questions as they have time.
ASK ALL GENERAL QUESTIONS OR BASIC QUESTIONS IN THE POLARIS FORUM.
Basic or General questions posted in a expert section will be moved!

500 HO full time 4wd

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2012, 05:48 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by ftwflh
DITTO
blip the throttle.Never had EBS but could make my clutches work like it.
Can't remember any kit part #'s,but when the ebc came out on the 4 strokes and the Explorer 400 and Scrambler 400 were still popular we received a info bulletin from Polaris about an ebc kit for the 2 stroke 400 if customers wanted or needed it! Don't ever remember installing one or even selling one though? OPT

Old 01-14-2012, 05:51 PM
Quad Patrol
Don't let the hp numbers fool you. Its all in how you get it to the ground. Clutching clutching clutching!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You dont need EBS if you know how to ride a CVT bike.But you do need to understand how the clutches work and use them.Set the secondary up a little tight helps too

Last edited by ftwflh; 01-14-2012 at 05:54 PM. Reason: add
Old 01-14-2012, 06:36 PM
Moto Psycho
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I had EBS added to my '97 Sportsman 500 and it was a big improvement. Most of the time I had to give it gas going down hills because it worked so good. I just coasted up to stop signs and I didn't go through brake pads nearly as fast either. Before EBS if I didn't blip the throttle it was like putting it in neutral and letting it fly down hill.

Old 01-14-2012, 07:30 PM
TLC
Extreme Pro Rider
God forbid he lets the polishing secret out!
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We have a 97 Sportsman with no EBS and find going down a hill in low range causes engine braking some how.

Old 01-14-2012, 08:08 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

Four strokes themselves have a natural braking ability,that's why I wondered when the ebc came out it wasn't standard on 2 stroke engines too which actually needed the clutching system more than the four strokes did since the inertia from a two stroke just keeps on going and has less mass than the four strokes to help slow em down We've even changed out one or two ebc systems for the older non ebs systems because a few people at first didn't like em because they felt it slowed em down too much? OPT

Old 01-14-2012, 08:30 PM
Trailblazer

Originally Posted by old polaris tech
How many transmissions you been through doing this? OPT
Just like some of the guys said to blip the throttle,this is what you basically had to do before the ebc systems came out in 98,especially on the 400 2 strokes that didn't have any engine braking at all,this loaded up the clutches and slowed em down. First time I did this,it's actually working against your natural instincts just to brake,but works. Wasn't so bad after the four strokes and ebc came out,but still works blipping the throttle to help slow these down to. I had a 80 foot embankment to practice on and used it to help some of the customers especially on slowing down the 2 strokes. OPT
lol, non. But I rarely do it, but when I do, I don't pin the throttle. I make sure I am on a steep enough hill, it does not take much to spin it in reverse.

I am trying to remember, but I think the my Trailblazer had ebs, but its been a while.

Old 11-18-2015, 08:48 AM
Trailblazer

Originally Posted by TLC
Maybe the brake. I find if I squeeze the brake hard enough the front will lock up if I want them to.
Can you do this right at the top of the hill and does it stay engaged all the way down?

Also, I have bypassed the auto hub system to manual.

Old 11-18-2015, 09:00 AM
TLC
Extreme Pro Rider
God forbid he lets the polishing secret out!

Not letting the ATV go in and out of AWD automatically would be hard to control. A person would not be quick enough and Polaris has no limited slip front drive (3x4). It would be like putting a ATV from 2wd to Diff lock .
A Dif locked front end is almost un-steerable.

The AWD system can go from 2wd to AWD and back in milliseconds without the rider knowing it's doing it without loss of control.

Old 11-18-2015, 09:09 AM
Trailblazer

Edit.......

Old 11-18-2015, 12:36 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I dont think putting the machine in reverse going down a hill is ever a good idea even if it does work. 4wd and low range will give you the best crawl ratio going down a steep hill.

Quick Reply: 500 HO full time 4wd