Polaris Ask an Expert! In fond memory of Old Polaris Tech. An area where experts in their field will answer non-general questions about your Polaris ATV.
"old polaris tech" and other experts will answer your questions as they have time.
ASK ALL GENERAL QUESTIONS OR BASIC QUESTIONS IN THE POLARIS FORUM.
Basic or General questions posted in a expert section will be moved!

2006 700 efi sportsman won't start when below 20

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2012, 03:13 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2006 700 efi sportsman won't start when below 20

Hi ..I'm new to the site but have seen some great advice from old polaris tech and the complete gang here.
I have a 700 efi sportsman 2006 and this atv won't start below 20 degrees. I have ran the diagnostic on the pod and the first time it showed code 41. I have since ordered a t-bap plug from otb to install on the t-bap sensor. Will install when gets here.
The other day when it was being a p.i.t.a. starting i ran the codes and it came up with 51=52 i know what the codes mean but i have not seen a cure for these. Open short to fuel injector ...one and two.
When trying to start this quad it can turn over and over when it is below 30 and then backfire once in a while. When it does start the atv runs fine...idles well and starts with no problem after warmed up. I have a battery tender on the atv with a new battery. I have also seen some where people have had bad grounds on the coil leading to these problems???
The quad only has 475 miles on it and looks like new...I can really use some help here as i love the atv but this problem is unacceptable. Any reply's and help here would sure be welcomed...Thanks

Old 01-18-2012, 04:01 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

Welcome to the forum! You're not alone! All over the internet are different efi atvs that have this problem! We don't experience weather like this in Texas,but what I'm thinking is first what weight oil are you using? Should be 0w-40 Mobil 1 OR Polaris PS4 Plus 2w-50, no thicker or can cause hard staring even down here when it gets cold! Also do you hear the fuel pump prime up when you turn the key on? Ethanol fuel at lower temps will cause the water(there will be some,that I can guarantee!) to settle lower(ice crystals along with the water) and if picked up may cause the spitting back? Are you running any good stabilizer too that will work on removing water from ethanol fuel? Don't think products like Heet will work,just adding more alcohol to fuel?? Some may have had good results with this,don't really know? Dipstick oil heaters would be my best guess to help the engine turn over better along with a GOOD fuel additive such as marine Stabil or Star Tron. Others that live in frigid temps like you will come along shortly and will tell you what they do! OPT

Old 01-18-2012, 04:12 PM
Weekend Warrior

Thanks for the quick response old polaris tech...I run mobil one 0-40 with premium gas {no ethanol} and seafoam in the fuel. The pump kicks in every time i hit the key to start it.... no problems there but it seams like the quad isn't adjusting to the temps on the efi.
Will that t-bap sensor wires cause these problems?? Also have you heard anything about the grounds at the coil and fuse problems?

Old 01-18-2012, 04:18 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

If the short in the sensor harness or connector is bad enough,then yes,it will be a bear to start cold or hot! Other places to check are the crank sensor harness connector close to the starter,have had some bare wires that have touched the starter and if so,will short to ground and won't crank also! OPT

Old 01-18-2012, 04:18 PM
Weekend Warrior

Old Polaris tech...i received your pm and the temps it won't start are 30 above zero and anything below that. Sorry for any confusion.

Old 01-18-2012, 04:25 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

Still cold! Check out the crank sensor wiring,plus temporarily "jiggle" the harness from the sensors while cranking! Had one stupid engineer tell me this,but I got several to crank doing this and located the problem at the same time! PS NOT a fuel expert,but I believe there is still ethanol even in premium fuel! OPT

Old 01-24-2012, 07:53 PM
Weekend Warrior

A update with questions...So my t-bap replacement plug came in and i installed it. My 2006 700 is a early build so it didn't have the updated 2006 coils on it. I removed the coil pack and mounting plate to make sure they had good grounds. Also i removed the fuses and cleaned each fuse then re installed. All these changes made a unbelievable change in the way my quad runs. It really runs fantastic and has loads of power. A check on the codes and they are all gone. But my problem is it is still hard starting...could this be a problem with my plugs? What plugs are replacement plugs for a 06 700 efi?..please no champion junk. I bought a efi expecting easier starts than a carb but this sure isn't the case.

Old 01-24-2012, 08:07 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

BKR7ES NGK or you can even run 6ES NGK if you ride slow! I junked the Champions back in 2002 when they first came out on the 700! All they did was foul! Had a LOT come in running on one plug or not running at all with the Champions! I went straight to the internet and found the NGK # rplacement and never had anymore problems! Champions are good for lawn equipment only! (imo) OPT

Old 01-29-2012, 04:09 PM
Weekend Warrior

My Quad is still very hard starting. I changed the plugs ...cleaned up wires and bought a new gel battery for it. I cleaned the ground wires on the frame and checked some wire connections. When i got it started it backfired right before it fired up and then ran normal??? I ran codes on it and it threw code 21...out of sync. Is this the crank sensor? Where exactly is it located? Is there anywhere to get a service manual free for this atv? I'm sick of throwing money at this low mileage quad.

Old 01-29-2012, 05:08 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

Couple things left that I can think of since you have replaced the t-bap harness kit is check the pressure from the fuel injector rail,should be 33 OR 39 psi and should hold this while running,should not drop or pump could be weak. Another is the fuel filter (located towards the front of the atv) could be restricting fuel flow even though it's a low mileage machine? PLUS I had the 500 efi engine on the brain when mentioning the crank sensor! If fuel pressure from the pump past the filter isn't the issue,then could be dirt,trash in stator area,plus you mentioned updated coils? Off hand can't remember any service bulletins on this,plus don't remember having any problems other than they did change the plug caps on the later models to help keep moisture out better, but doesn't mean I may have overlooked a bulletin? Plus you might try Partshark for a manual you can down load! OPT

Quick Reply: 2006 700 efi sportsman won't start when below 20