Polaris Ask an Expert! In fond memory of Old Polaris Tech. An area where experts in their field will answer non-general questions about your Polaris ATV.
"old polaris tech" and other experts will answer your questions as they have time.
ASK ALL GENERAL QUESTIONS OR BASIC QUESTIONS IN THE POLARIS FORUM.
Basic or General questions posted in a expert section will be moved!

600 rod bearing

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2012, 07:20 AM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 600 rod bearing

Is there a way to put rod bearings in a 600? A friend of mine bought one that has a loose rod and I don't see a seperate part number for the rod bearing or anything in the parts drawings that indicate the assembly can be taken apart. I haven't looked at the crankshaft in person yet.

Old 01-22-2012, 09:18 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

Not unless you find a shop capable of working on multiple rod crankshafts. I was only set up for single cranks with the press, single crank stand,and dial indicator. If any local shops aren't set up for multiple cranks (many like us weren't,SOME didn't even bother at all,they just replaced crank assemblies!) then try some local machine shops,specialty repair shops for pwcs,etc.Don't just try to replace one rod,do BOTH! Last resort is to just consider replacement! As far as rebuilding pwc cranks ,we used SBT out of Florida and had good results. They would weld twin and triple cranks to keep them from getting out of index.Think they just do pwc engines only? PS that is IF you can find the rod assemblies! Polaris lists it as a complete crank assembly and not separate parts,unlike a lot of their watercraft where you can buy individual rods,bearings,etc! $818 at Cycle Parts Warehouse for the crank shaft assembly! Can't imagine what some dealers would charge!! OPT

Old 01-22-2012, 10:13 AM
Range Rover

Thanks OPT, I figured if anybody would know it would be you. We aren't having any luck finding just rod assemblies, so it looks like he is in the market for a crankshaft assembly. At least he's not in the machine for a bunch of money, so he can put some into it and still be money ahead. Is it a common problem with the 600's to have rod issues? Anything else he needs to be mindful of when we put it back together? It's an 04 Sportsman 600 4x4.

Old 01-22-2012, 10:56 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

Make sure you replace ALL the plain bearings in the cases and use either assembly lube or what I used was Wurth copper paste adhesive lubricant that I just brushed on,has suspended copper flakes to stop any initial galling. Manual is HIGHLY recommended as there are so many steps especially all the internal gears and how they have to be timed up,PLUS you have to prime the oil pump!!.The push rods,lifters,etc are fairly easy and the pistons install in the cylinders first,then lowered down on the rods!Both pistons rise at the same time like one big thumper!
I did take home one memento from work, a customer ran a 700 it until it actually melted and curved the bottom of the rod when it died on him. I just pulled the rod and piston away from the crank!It's hanging on my tool box now Didn't have any 600 with rod problems(as we didn't sell that many) but had a few 700s that ate up rod bearings! From my experience most of these were over heated and discolored and had gotten hot from the WRONG oil! Most customers admitted this that had engine damage! People still think a lot of times they can use any type oil and get away with it! Some are able to, some not!! Use what is recommended 0w40 or the Polaris oil! OPT

Old 01-22-2012, 12:30 PM
Range Rover

Thanks for the input, he's gonna order parts and we'll be putting this critter together soon.