Polaris Ask an Expert! In fond memory of Old Polaris Tech. An area where experts in their field will answer non-general questions about your Polaris ATV.
"old polaris tech" and other experts will answer your questions as they have time.
ASK ALL GENERAL QUESTIONS OR BASIC QUESTIONS IN THE POLARIS FORUM.
Basic or General questions posted in a expert section will be moved!

Electric Start Issues Please Help!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2012, 07:49 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 34 Likes on 34 Posts

YES on that model you do!!! It's a combination kill and start button! Try a new battery first since you have a dead one,could be all your problems!! OPT

Old 01-23-2012, 08:08 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by old polaris tech
YES on that model you do!!! It's a combination kill and start button! Try a new battery first since you have a dead one,could be all your problems!! OPT
I will try a new one tomorrow
And post results thanks so much

Old 01-24-2012, 06:20 PM
Super Quad Patrol
I'm watching you!
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by old polaris tech
wow you mean i was right on something after all lol. i get lucky once in a while.
i only say turn the key on when jumping the solenoid as the bike will start and won't w/ the key off even though the starter will turn over correct or am i mistaken

Old 01-24-2012, 07:46 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

Yep you're correct I ASSUMED he was pushing the button,plus on the starter when he said he jumped the solenoid nothing happened,should of at least turned over key on or off, and then said he checked the pouch and had 12 volts,?? Should have read his first post a little slower! Gettin old OPT

Old 01-24-2012, 08:52 PM
Weekend Warrior

Getting 12 volts at starter. The solenoid only clicks once and the 12 volts stays at the starter. Ive heard of the solenoids clicking mutiple times.. Does that mean my solenoid is bad too? Im ordering a starter on ebay tomorrow

Old 01-24-2012, 09:17 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

Originally Posted by carralo1
Getting 12 volts at starter. The solenoid only clicks once and the 12 volts stays at the starter. Ive heard of the solenoids clicking mutiple times.. Does that mean my solenoid is bad too? Im ordering a starter on ebay tomorrow
If you are getting 12volts to the starter when you push the start button(SORRY,didn't catch that first time around!), then it's passing through the solenoid, then the solenoid should be ok! You can show 12 volts,but not enough amperage to turn the starter over if battery is failing! Have the battery load tested first! Replace if necessary,then see if it will start. If not, then starter may need to have brushes replaced or just cleaned up. Plus you can tap on starter to see if it will work! They can sometimes stick from moisture,dirt,etc! You can also check DB Electrical and their cheap prices on starters and decide whether to repair or replace if it is the starter!. I'm still thinking battery plus possibly starter?When solenoids start "clicking" it's usually because of bad batteries,especially since power is going to the starter as you say.... OPT

Old 01-24-2012, 09:22 PM
Weekend Warrior

Put brand New
Battery in it today so almost 100% it's starter.
Took apart starter and brushes are definately worn down. Starter housing inside is cracked so I'm going to replace whole thing from dbelectrical for 65 bucks. Hopefully will solve. How do you suggest reinstalling starter because the two bolts for the mounting bracket will be very very difficult to get back in.

Old 01-24-2012, 09:30 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

Since I had a lift and clutch puller,I didn't fight the bottom starter bolt!! I just removed the front and rear clutches and the backing plate far enough back to remove the bottom bolt then pulled the starter out. Others have said they have removed the bolt by removing the air box, removed the top bolt and backed out the bottom bolt and turned the starter to remove it and replace it with the new starter! The bolt has to be partially installed first in the starter,then the starter turned down in to place. The choice is yours! OPT