Polaris Ask an Expert! In fond memory of Old Polaris Tech. An area where experts in their field will answer non-general questions about your Polaris ATV.
"old polaris tech" and other experts will answer your questions as they have time.
ASK ALL GENERAL QUESTIONS OR BASIC QUESTIONS IN THE POLARIS FORUM.
Basic or General questions posted in a expert section will be moved!

2003 Sportsman 700 Rear Prop Shaft

Old 02-21-2012, 08:13 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2003 Sportsman 700 Rear Prop Shaft

I have an 2003 polaris sportsman 700. I was looking for all the grease fittings on the bike and noticed that the rear prop shaft only has a roll pin (spring pin) in the front yoke. The rear yoke has a hole for the roll pin, but the shaft that comes out of the gearcase does not (or is misaligned). Should the rear yoke and shaft have a roll pin (Is my shaft and yoke misaligned)?

Thanks for any advice.

Old 02-21-2012, 02:44 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

No the rear shaft even though it may be drilled doesn't have a roll pin,only the front. If you ever have to remove it you have to drive the roll pin out,drive the shaft towards the rear gear case as far as possible (shaft will still be on the main gear case) Loosen the 4 bolts under the rear gear case to where you can move it far enough back to pull the prop shaft off the front gear case and then drive the rear of the prop shaft forward to remove it from the rear gear case,then you can wiggle the complete assembly out. OPT

Old 02-21-2012, 02:48 PM
Weekend Warrior

Thanks OPT. Puts my mind at ease.

Old 06-05-2017, 09:18 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default Question bout rear shaft removal

When removing rear shaft, you said remove 4 bolts under rear case... do I also need to remove the three into the frame? I'm assuming so but trying to get this done asap, as I need it back for farm use
QUOTE=old polaris tech;3097615]No the rear shaft even though it may be drilled doesn't have a roll pin,only the front. If you ever have to remove it you have to drive the roll pin out,drive the shaft towards the rear gear case as far as possible (shaft will still be on the main gear case) Loosen the 4 bolts under the rear gear case to where you can move it far enough back to pull the prop shaft off the front gear case and then drive the rear of the prop shaft forward to remove it from the rear gear case,then you can wiggle the complete assembly out. OPT[/QUOTE]

Old 06-06-2017, 01:33 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

Yes bottom bolts and the ones on the side.

Attached Thumbnails 2003 Sportsman 700 Rear Prop Shaft-69d926d22209afc657dd2d07b59b2904f7105f10.png  
Old 06-06-2017, 07:21 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default Help

Well I got the rear end pulled back but I can't get the drive shaft off the rear end to save my life. Any suggestions? Ive tried spraying on blaster on it and letting it soak. I've tried two huge screw divers and it doesn't budge at all. Heat?

Old 06-07-2017, 10:13 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

That's where an air impact with a flat dull bit comes into play. It can impact the prop shaft off easy as spreading butter on a piece of toast. Didn't take me long after a couple busted knuckles to find a better way. Same thing for removing the front prop shaft. Just remove the clevis pin at the diff,impact the rear yoke to slide back off the front diff pinion shaft,turn the prop shaft to the side to clear the diff and impact the rear yoke again forward to get it off the gear case splines. Samething on installation of a new prop shaft. You just have to make sure the bit is flat and dull to keep from damaging the yoke.

Old 06-07-2017, 10:22 AM
Weekend Warrior
Default Air impact or air chisel?

Air impact? Or air chisel? Email? Yelley21@gmail.con

Old 06-07-2017, 11:15 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

Sorry... I meant air chisel.. I've got an excuse.. I'm getting old..

Old 06-08-2017, 07:18 AM
Weekend Warrior
Default No luck

No luck with an air chisel either. I beat on it for a little bit before saying **** in it and throwing it back together. I'm gonna take it to my old mans place as he has about 50 times more tools than I do. Needless to say it's got 1/2 can of pb blaster on it. I'll probably pull the rear axles and pull the entire rear end out.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2003 Sportsman 700 Rear Prop Shaft