Polaris Ask an Expert! In fond memory of Old Polaris Tech. An area where experts in their field will answer non-general questions about your Polaris ATV.
"old polaris tech" and other experts will answer your questions as they have time.
ASK ALL GENERAL QUESTIONS OR BASIC QUESTIONS IN THE POLARIS FORUM.
Basic or General questions posted in a expert section will be moved!

Polaris 50 no spark

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2012, 08:16 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

And 1 more question if you don't mind. Can I order a Ricky brand stator or do I have to go oem? I have read somewhere about some of the Chinese types that didn't work properly, but I have heard good things about Ricky's. Any other suggestions you can offer on which one to buy? Thanks.

Old 08-15-2012, 08:28 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

Haven't heard any bad things on Ricky Stators,plus even ordered some stators from them when I was still at the shop. OPT

Old 08-22-2012, 05:18 PM
Pro Rider

five20too, would you mind posting the stator ohm spec and test prociedure. I just got a new OEM one and I also was doing the voltage test. My voltage was no where near where it needed to be. Almost nothing on the readings. I wanted to ohm it out to see what I got. If you would post that it would be greatly appreciated.

Old 08-22-2012, 10:09 PM
Trailblazer

Ok I unplugged the stator wires at the connectors and checked from there. The following is from the schematic; Black to ground: 0, Black to White: 0.6, Black to Yellow/Red: 0.5, Black to Black/Red: 780 + or - 30, Black to White/Red: 110 + or - 20. Hope this helps.

Old 08-23-2012, 07:03 AM
Pro Rider

Originally Posted by five20too
Ok I unplugged the stator wires at the connectors and checked from there. The following is from the schematic; Black to ground: 0, Black to White: 0.6, Black to Yellow/Red: 0.5, Black to Black/Red: 780 + or - 30, Black to White/Red: 110 + or - 20. Hope this helps.
Did yours ohm out correctly? My new OEM one isn't however. I am taking it to someone today to make sure I am testing it properly.

Old 08-23-2012, 07:27 AM
Pro Rider

OK so I did meter it out correctly, but read it incorrectly. All my values were in spec. The one that threw me off was the BLK to BLK/RED. my meter showed .83 and my buddy said the decimal point was in the wrong spot because my meter isn't that good. I hope he knows what he is talkng about.

Old 08-23-2012, 08:56 PM
Trailblazer

Mine did not ohm out correctly so I ordered one from Ricky Stator. I haven't had a chance to put it on yet but I'm hoping it will fix it.

Old 08-29-2012, 05:53 AM
Trailblazer

OPT I have another question for you if you don't mind. I got the stator back in and it has spark now as long as I ground out the black/white wire going to the CDI box. If I plug in that bullet connector then I have no spark. I tried to isolate the problem by using jumper wires and zipties where I could. I ziptied the brake handles all the way back, then I put a jumper wire in the wires to the kill switch, then a jumper wire to the throttle lever assembly. I still don't have spark. Where else can I check? I'm trying to leave it in the stock configuration but I have considered running the black/white wire through a kill switch to ground but I haven't done that yet. Any ideas?

Old 08-29-2012, 06:55 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

Brake lever only controls the starter interlock and brakelight. If you have to ground the black/white wire to have spark, sounds like your problem is somewhere else,either a short somewhere in the harness,cdi internal problem or coil problem? You shouldn't have to jump wires around. Also don't know if you've tied the safety tether switch wires together to eliminate it as a problem as they do short out not allowing spark also? OPT

Old 08-29-2012, 08:02 PM
Trailblazer

Yes I jumped the safety tether also. I guess my next mission is to check each wire for a short to ground. Anything else I can check while I'm at it?

Quick Reply: Polaris 50 no spark