Polaris Ask an Expert! In fond memory of Old Polaris Tech. An area where experts in their field will answer non-general questions about your Polaris ATV.
"old polaris tech" and other experts will answer your questions as they have time.
ASK ALL GENERAL QUESTIONS OR BASIC QUESTIONS IN THE POLARIS FORUM.
Basic or General questions posted in a expert section will be moved!

01 scrambler 500 4x4 primary clutch issue!

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2012 | 04:49 AM
|
Weekend Warrior
Unhappy 01 scrambler 500 4x4 primary clutch issue!

i recently purchased this with a bad primary. bad to the point the back side broke into two pieces. i purchased a clutch from a 93 they look the same except the inside of the one i bought has the threads for the puller tool.

my problem is the one on it at the moment has no threads on the inside of clutch so the pulling tool will not work! what do i do to get it off ?

btw just wanna add i like all the info I've already seen on this forum!

thanks for everyone's time .

Old 09-15-2012 | 10:29 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

Originally Posted by riddlebox_420
i recently purchased this with a bad primary. bad to the point the back side broke into two pieces. i purchased a clutch from a 93 they look the same except the inside of the one i bought has the threads for the puller tool.

my problem is the one on it at the moment has no threads on the inside of clutch so the pulling tool will not work! what do i do to get it off ?

btw just wanna add i like all the info I've already seen on this forum!

thanks for everyone's time .
Welcome!If there are no threads inside the clutch that's on the machine,then someone must have changed it out?? ALL Polaris full size atv's have inner threads in the clutch for using a clutch remover tool. Sound like you're down to somehow using an open jawed puller of some sort and using deep socket or extension against the crank shaft without damaging it!! Be sure to check the size of the counter weights on the replacement clutch,along with condition of ramp buttons and any wear where the buttons glide (stock weights on the 2001 are marked 10-whf) Clutch came off a 93 what??? 4 strokes didn't come out until the 1995 Magnum 425. Hope the inside diameter is the same? OPT

Old 09-15-2012 | 08:06 PM
|
Weekend Warrior

i actually think the clutch that was on it was the stock one. maybe they were defective but ya there were no threads inside the clutch.

i did however manage to get it off, bought a $14 gear puller put the bolt only book into the clutch and threaded the triangle piece of the clutch back onto the shaft and used that top put the hooks on and it popped off !

not sure what the clutch is off of, but it seems to do the trick ! it does grind going into gear and than it wants top move when in reverse. but its a running machine for sure !

Old 09-15-2012 | 09:58 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

If it's grinding in gear and trying to creep you may need to add/remove shims behind the rear clutch to align the clutches. If the belt is touching either side of the front clutch sheaths shimming may be needed or if you have a different belt than the stock #3211077 oem belt,could be too tight causing the creeping,grinding into gear. OPT