Polaris Ask an Expert! In fond memory of Old Polaris Tech. An area where experts in their field will answer non-general questions about your Polaris ATV.
"old polaris tech" and other experts will answer your questions as they have time.
ASK ALL GENERAL QUESTIONS OR BASIC QUESTIONS IN THE POLARIS FORUM.
Basic or General questions posted in a expert section will be moved!

what kind of paint sticks to these 4wheeler fenders?

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2012, 07:17 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default what kind of paint sticks to these 4wheeler fenders?

I'm having trouble getting any kind of paint to stick to these fenders it's a 1991 polaris 350 trail boss I'm sure they are all the same as far as painting them in concerned anyone have any luck with a certain paint? thanks

Old 11-08-2012, 07:25 AM
Supersock
Hired Gun!
"Badges? We don't need no stinkin' badges!"
Received 164 Likes on 163 Posts

First, the surface needs to be prepped properly. Then you're going to want a paint made for plastic, and one that has a good flex agent in it.

Even then, you're still going to get a lot of scratches and knicks in the paint just due to riding conditions.

Old 11-08-2012, 08:07 AM
Weekend Warrior

thats what I was looking at in the paint store a additive that goes into the paint to help it flex, I've used that on some interrior panels of my truck and it worked great. only the store guy said that it doesn't have anything to do with sticking to the plastic. what ever I use would have to be able to some what melt into the plastic to adhear and thats where we couldn't find anything siutable. thanks for the help

Old 11-08-2012, 08:10 AM
Supersock
Hired Gun!
"Badges? We don't need no stinkin' badges!"
Received 164 Likes on 163 Posts

Again, surface prep is going to be your biggest factor. It won't stick to what it can't get to.

Old 11-08-2012, 10:10 AM
Super Moderator
Well, golly JimBob!
Received 54 Likes on 54 Posts

There's a spray paint called Krylon Fusion. Some have had success with it. Made to molecularly bond to plastic.

Old 11-20-2012, 09:09 PM
Pro Rider

I painted my wife's trailboss this spring with the krylon fusion for plastics. But as everyone else has said it all comes down to the prep work. I sanded down only the tops of the plastics and not the underside because I had my doubts with sand and mud spraying at them all the time. I sanded everything down good and rough with 80grit first to make sure there was a good adhesion surface, then went over that with 180 to smooth it down some then went with 320 and made it almost smooth to the touch again. You will have to blow it off VERY good and wipe it SEVERAL times with a good paint/lacquer thinner and blow it dry between each wipe down as to get all the sanding dust out of the scratches. Once you're sure it's clean then paint it and follow the instructions on the cans to a "T" except for if you want to put a clear coat on it. Use the wait until paint is cured amount of time and not the "in less than X hours" time. I did the sooner than later method and it left a whitish hue on the black.

Old 11-21-2012, 03:03 AM
Weekend Warrior

thanks for the info. I will see how long it last, but I have my doubts about it lasting very good.

Old 11-23-2012, 11:07 AM
Trailblazer

Adhesion promoting primer.

Old 11-23-2012, 02:49 PM
TLC
Extreme Pro Rider
God forbid he lets the polishing secret out!

IF you like Camo try this product instead of paint .Camoclad Camouflage System - Advanced Concealment Solutions Here is a Polaris sportsman after using it. Webshots Rides offers thousands of the best car wallpapers. Looks awsome.

Old 11-23-2012, 05:09 PM
Weekend Warrior

hey thanks I'll buy a kit for my grandsons polaris

Quick Reply: what kind of paint sticks to these 4wheeler fenders?