Polaris Ask an Expert! In fond memory of Old Polaris Tech. An area where experts in their field will answer non-general questions about your Polaris ATV.
"old polaris tech" and other experts will answer your questions as they have time.
ASK ALL GENERAL QUESTIONS OR BASIC QUESTIONS IN THE POLARIS FORUM.
Basic or General questions posted in a expert section will be moved!

2008 Polaris sportsman 500 ho efi

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2013 | 09:36 PM
|
Weekend Warrior
Default 2008 Polaris sportsman 500 ho efi

I have a 2008 sportsman 500 ho efi. I was out driven last weekended and had to get towed home. Bike would not start. Didn't have any spark. Got home and Check a few things and still no spark Have a one have same problems know where I should start looking from here or what to Check? Thanks.

Old 03-13-2013 | 11:41 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

First thing I'd check is that the throttle has 1/8" play at the thumb lever. Too much slack can cause weak or no spark condition. Check for any bare wires on the crank sensor harness that comes from the recoil area where it routes close to the starter. I've found shorts there that would ground out the spark. Also pull the connector on the ecu module and use dielectric grease and plug back in.The battery also has to be in a good state of charge.

Old 03-14-2013 | 05:22 AM
|
Weekend Warrior
Default No spark 2008 efi sportsman

Thank for the reply. I check the wires and did not see any bad ones and also did the pull test to make sure there not broken inside. Your talking about the wires that comes up from the pull cord? I will pull the ecu connector off today and try that. I test for power at coil plug. Nothing. If I leave it connected to the coil and back prob it I get power on both wires for 2 seconds the. Nothing. Then I need to turn off key wait then try again and it comes back. But nothing while cracking thanks again

Old 03-14-2013 | 08:03 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

Doesn't show a test on the crank position sensor,but you can pull the recoil cover and check the cps out for any corrosion around it along with the flywheel.Plus check for any codes the speedo might throw out.Worst case scenario after you check everything you can and still don't have spark is to have it connected to Polaris Digital Wrench at a dealer.

Old 03-14-2013 | 09:23 AM
|
Weekend Warrior
Default No spark

I tried to pull the codes but it won't. I followed what it said todo but it won't do it. Any ideal so if the tps is the problem can I unplug it and will it have start then? Thanks for all your info. I'm at lose.

Old 03-14-2013 | 10:55 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

The crank position sensor sends the small timed spark to the ecu. The ecu then sends the signal to the coil. If you've adjusted the throttle to where it has 1/8" slack(to where the etc contacts don't touch) have inspected the wiring,checked the cps and flywheel and no codes are throw,then you're kind of limited as to what else you can check. It may be something simple or the cps could be faulty? This is the main drawback with efi machines. Only so much you can check without diagnostic software. At times you just need to have it hooked up to Digital Wrench to help find the cause of the problem. You might also just check the tps and map sensor harness connectors and the small wiring located on the throttle body and intake manifold for any bare wires shorting to ground.

Old 03-16-2013 | 09:36 PM
|
Weekend Warrior

Thanks for all the input. I check the pick up coil wires. The white and white and red wires and my ohms is 5.23. I think it should be around 97. So I'm thinking that its my problem? The wires from the stator has continuous so I know the stator is good. What is your thoughts?

Old 03-17-2013 | 08:37 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

You said you have an 500 efi?? If so, pick up coil readings wouldn't apply to your atv. Found readings for the crank position sensor to goes to the ecu. White to Black 190 ohms + or - 10%
"IF" you do have a carb model,not fuel injection,then yes the White and Red from the pick up coil should read 97 ohms.

Old 03-17-2013 | 08:44 AM
|
Weekend Warrior

Yeah it is a 2008 efi 500 ho x2. So it shouldn't have a pick up coil? There is. A little black black box behind the flywheel with 3 wires. One is brown that goes to ground and other 2 are white and white and red. I was reading somewhere they should be Around 100 ohms and I have 4.57 and it goes down. Where are the wires you talking g about come from and go to? Thanks again

Old 03-17-2013 | 09:07 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

Down load the 2009 500 Sportsman PDF from Partshark. I just checked and it shows the crank position sensor wiring and ohm readings in the 500 Sportsman efi X2 wiring diagram that's the same as the 2008 PDf that I have. PartShark.com - Motorcycle Parts, ATV Parts, UTV Parts, PWC Parts, Powersports Apparel, Motorcycle Accessories for OEM and Aftermarket.

Quick Reply: 2008 Polaris sportsman 500 ho efi