ATVConnection.com ATV Enthusiast Community

ATVConnection.com ATV Enthusiast Community (https://atvconnection.com/forums/)
-   Polaris Ask an Expert! In fond memory of Old Polaris Tech. (https://atvconnection.com/forums/polaris-ask-expert-fond-memory-old-polaris-tech/)
-   -   2003 Polaris 330 cranks but wont start (https://atvconnection.com/forums/polaris-ask-expert-fond-memory-old-polaris-tech/356902-2003-polaris-330-cranks-but-wont-start.html)

N2ROW 06-13-2014 11:19 AM

2003 Polaris 330 cranks but wont start

So this winter the Polaris started right up. I warmed it up for about 20 min. I shut it down for 15 min. I came back out to restart and nothing. Cranks and cranks nothing. Played with choke nothing. I sprayed some starter fluid in the air intake it attempted to start but it didnt hold. I tried recently again now thats its warm out. She cranks puffs a little attempts to start but nothing. Fuel is filled to the top. I switched form normal fuel position to serve and back. Battery voltage good. Now that its camping season I need to get it running. I lost out of all the snow we had in NY. Any suggestion since im taking the skin off the bike tonight?
Richie
2003 Trailboss 330

Jaster94 06-13-2014 05:11 PM

yeah, pull the spark plug and test for spark. try replacing the spark plug. check all of your kill switches. how to you shut it off? do you use the key or the red slider kill switch? check that out. test for spark.

N2ROW 06-13-2014 06:38 PM

Will do within an hour. I will advise. Thanks

N2ROW 06-13-2014 10:52 PM

I have spark. I pulled the plug out cleaned it and reinstalled it. Sprayed some starting fluid and cranked it. It started for about 40 seconds giving it trottle with no response she shut down. More spray she fired up and puff. I removed the fuel line that goes into the filter. I cranked it and fuel started to come out but it seemed very low pressure it barely wanted to come out as the engine turned. I then removed the fuel line from the switch which came from the tank, it started to pour out. So does it seem the fuel pump went bad? Or should it pour out with lots of pressure to fill the carburator? Is this normal to pulse fuel out at a dribble? And that's at all settings of the fuel selector valve.

old polaris tech 06-14-2014 06:18 AM

Check fuel flow in the on position and also reserve and see if it's the same when you crank the engine over. Fuel valves can stop up along with fuel filters. If you eliminate these as the problem plus the vacuum line to the carb is secure,fuel pump could be weak or have dirt and trash in it. Fuel flow can pulse,but it should be more than a dribble. You can use a Mityvac also to pull a vacuum on the impulse line at the carb to see if the fuel flow is the same.If it is,then probably needs a fuel pump. Plus don't over look needing a carb kit if it's been sitting up for awhile.Even more so if you don't have stabilizer in the fuel. Dirt Cheap Yamaha, Honda, Arctic Cat & Polaris OEM Parts & Accessories – Cycle Parts Warehouse
http://www.jetsrus.com/individual_parts/sh_03_409.html

N2ROW 06-14-2014 10:23 AM

Thanks. Fuel flow is the same on both positions. Before the filter that goes in the carb. Question I didn't trace it but I removed the air box. There was a hose I disconnect. Is that hose connected to the pulse side of the pump? Otherwise I will need to retest with the air filter box connected and sealed? Now I need a new 3 way valve it snapped removing the fuel line. Frustrating lol. I have one side working for now.

old polaris tech 06-14-2014 04:19 PM

Air box and filter need to be in place and top on or it will be hard to start and run right. These machines are cold natured and lean running as it is..Hose at the air box comes from the crank case vent at the top of the engine. Item #7 on the crank case vent. Dirt Cheap Yamaha, Honda, Arctic Cat & Polaris OEM Parts & Accessories – Cycle Parts Warehouse

N2ROW 06-17-2014 10:51 AM

OK, I orderd a new fuel pump, filter and fuel switch since I broke it pulling the hose off. I will update when I get it and install it.