Polaris Ask an Expert! In fond memory of Old Polaris Tech. An area where experts in their field will answer non-general questions about your Polaris ATV.
"old polaris tech" and other experts will answer your questions as they have time.
ASK ALL GENERAL QUESTIONS OR BASIC QUESTIONS IN THE POLARIS FORUM.
Basic or General questions posted in a expert section will be moved!

1999 Ranger 500 6x6 stuck in low.. Need advice

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2015, 09:01 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1999 Ranger 500 6x6 stuck in low.. Need advice

The ranger today decided to stay in first gear on the trailer when attempting to back down. Shifted to L before R but then shifter is stuck and vechicle in low only. Any suggestions on what to try to isloate the problem? Just bought the unit (always wanted one) and don't have manuals or saavy on this machine yet. Help?

- LostSol

Old 02-03-2015, 09:31 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

You hydro locked the shifter.Common problem. Check that linkage ends and shift arms are tight at the transmission.Loosen the lock nuts on the ball ends that hood to the shift box levers.Remove the 10 mm nuts and lift the linkage arms up. Pop the gear shift with your palm back into neutral. While the linkage arms are off,check if you have excessive slack forward and back on the shift lever.If you do you may have worn parts in the shift box that need replacing such as the plastic bearing cup,interlock butterfly or even shift lever slots many be worn. Dirt Cheap Yamaha & Polaris OEM Parts & Accessories – Cycle Parts Warehouse While still in neutral,loosen the ball ends to where they falls straight into the shift levers with NO resistance. Tighten the lock nuts and replace the 10 mm nuts holding the linkage ***** to the shift levers. This may solve the problem or may help for awhile. Plus after all these years,a good fluid change(ow40)may help,but if you go that far might as well inspect and replace worn parts.

Old 02-03-2015, 10:39 AM
Weekend Warrior

Thank you for the quick replay. Wont get a chance to monkey with this until the late pm due to the need to make ends get close to meeting... I am curious.. unless I miss your drift.. i will be popping the shifter to neutral but will the xmission remain in low? I guess I am not able to picture until I get over the hardware and review. I don't have a manual.. was trying to find one on line last night and just about convinced the 1999 ranger 500 6x6 is a 'ghost in the machine' kind of machine.. I went through trying to find a rear wheel hub and it seems as thought the year/part number combo was life some top secret govt file that never existed.. I really like the machine.but not having much luck with it... want to change that.. Thank you very much for your time and interest. Sincerely,

Old 02-03-2015, 11:02 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

Yes you pop the linkage arms off and use vice grips on the transmission belcranks(levers) to get it back into neutral,then adjust the linkage. Yes this was the only Ranger for 1999. As for the rear hub,you might check with dealers if its NLA(doesn't list on most online sites) as to having some nos parts in inventory or any crossover parts list that would work,plus keep an eye on ebay for hubs.
Usage : 5131982 Rear hub

Year Product Model Assembly
1999 RGR RANGER MIDDLE WHEEL DRIVE - A99RF50AA
1999 RGR RANGER REAR WHEEL DRIVE - A99RF50AA
Plus this may help in finding one that will work.Has 26 male(external) splines(about 1 1/8" shaft size), 4 bolt x 110mm(4.37"), 5.05" pilot hole(center hole on rim), 2" thick in the middle.

Last edited by old polaris tech; 02-03-2015 at 11:19 AM. Reason: added dimensions
Old 02-03-2015, 11:55 AM
Weekend Warrior

Thank you again. Will see what happens tonight or in the am.. Best Regards,

Old 04-28-2015, 07:18 AM
Weekend Warrior
Default 1999 Ranger 500 6x6 stuck in low.. Need advice... solved

wanted to get back with you. sorry for delay.. life is full sometimes. I managed to get the shifter unstuck by using your advise. I know has access to gears for this old but venerable machine.... I wish they still made parts for it.. would be nice to keep it going. the local dealer tells me that my choices are limited (like the parking brake cable assy (wont pull tight) and others.. But I will continue to run it as long as I can. thanks for your help. I better not transport the thing in a gear any more.. and be nice to it.. It doesn't want to stay in reverse .. but will a little care and attention it works just fine.

Thanks again.

Old 04-28-2015, 06:32 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

A lot of stuff beginning to be nla for the old Rangers. Cable I think can be adjusted if I remember correctly,plus they still show pads if needed for this center brake.Dirt Cheap Yamaha, Polaris, Suzuki & Kawasaki OEM Parts & Accessories – Cycle Parts Warehouse