Polaris Ask an Expert! In fond memory of Old Polaris Tech. An area where experts in their field will answer non-general questions about your Polaris ATV.
"old polaris tech" and other experts will answer your questions as they have time.
ASK ALL GENERAL QUESTIONS OR BASIC QUESTIONS IN THE POLARIS FORUM.
Basic or General questions posted in a expert section will be moved!

1995 Polaris Scrambler Oil Pump Marks

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2015, 03:58 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1995 Polaris Scrambler Oil Pump Marks

Good Afternoon OPT,

I'm working on running a new throttle / oil cable on my 1995 Polaris Scrambler project to free up some resistance in the thumb lever. I just took off the oil pump plate and found that it was quite dirty but more concerning was the oil mark settings. I have read your posts in the past and I believe you have said that there should be roughly around 5/8 threads showing above the pump and judging by the pictures there is only around 1/4 threads (which means it may have been running oil lean). I was going to adjust the oil pump lever but I cant seemed to find the indicator lines on this version of the pump to adjust to so I wanted to get your advice. (I do see one indicator on the clip). Attached are pictures of the pump, also I would like to take off the clip and spring to do a better clean job, anything I should be concerned about removing those two items?

Thanks for all your help!
~Brad

Attached Thumbnails 1995 Polaris Scrambler Oil Pump Marks-pump1.jpg   1995 Polaris Scrambler Oil Pump Marks-pump2.jpg  
Old 05-12-2015, 04:24 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

See if you can clean this area up a little better so you can see the marks on the wheel and pump body. Even the pic I have you can barely see the one mark on the body itself. In it's position it's set a tad on the rich side. Mark is center of the protruding square piece on the left of the pump body.Plus in the second pic your fat finger's in the way.. Plus if the wheel retracts back ok when you move the wheel with your finger, I wouldn't take the wheel off as the spring is wound around the body and the wheel and easily broken if you're not careful.

Attached Thumbnails 1995 Polaris Scrambler Oil Pump Marks-pos1.jpg  
Old 05-13-2015, 06:41 AM
Trailblazer

Hey that's a picture of my Big Boss's oil pump from a previous post! , and thanks for the fat finger comment. lol I will check it tonight, maybe that little protruding square is hiding in there but I don't remember seeing it on this version of the pump.

Here is a post of the Polaris 400 oil pump which shows the omission of the protruding square, there some talk of a (f) indicator in the related post but from all the pictures I don't see anything that indicates an (f). http://www.polarisatvforums.com/foru...n-smoking.html , to me that oil pump looks like its set up relatively correctly compared to the pictures of my Project wheeler and his problem is most likely due to a rich fuel problem which you have educated me before on.

Old 05-13-2015, 07:50 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

There were changes to the oil pump and wheel as the engine jumped from the 350 to the 400 in 94. Manuals at times didn't keep up with current changes and as far as that goes they still don't.Saw that a lot when I had to crack a manual open.

Old 05-14-2015, 01:37 PM
Trailblazer

Hi OPT, so I found the protruding square behind the pump plate. It looks like this version of the Pump only has one full throttle indicator on the plate - so I think I got that all figured out. The reason why I'm doing all of this is because I'm installing a new throttle / oil cable because my old one was pretty stiff at the throttle. I have installed my new cable and the throttle moves back and forth nicely however compared to my other Polaris 400 and Polaris 250 it still requires more thumb effort than any other machine I have (Not trying to be a woose but want to make sure things are operating efficiently). Based on your experience is there much variance in the throttle pressure between type of Polaris Atvs? This is a 1995 Polaris Scrambler, thanks for all your help!

Old 05-14-2015, 03:49 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

I've found a few like yours that seemed harder on the throttle than the others. The carbs are basically the same on the 250,300,350 and 400 along with the carb springs (VM30/34 carbs) Seems like the 250 and 300 were a little easier because the pump springs on these weren't as stiff as the 350/400 to begin with,cables were shorter,the throttle cable and oil pump cable were close together instead of on opposite sides of the engine like the 350/400 were, plus the pump had the lever arm and not the wheel. Also think a lot of it has to do with the bend that the pump cable has to make when you route to the front.Sometimes doesn't matter if it is a new cable,they can still be stiff.Not a bad idea either to check the throttle assy also.A little electrical spray cleaner and a little spray lube on the throttle shaft may help.