Polaris Ask an Expert! In fond memory of Old Polaris Tech. An area where experts in their field will answer non-general questions about your Polaris ATV.
"old polaris tech" and other experts will answer your questions as they have time.
ASK ALL GENERAL QUESTIONS OR BASIC QUESTIONS IN THE POLARIS FORUM.
Basic or General questions posted in a expert section will be moved!

Rear shock removal/installation procedure??

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2015, 12:20 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rear shock removal/installation procedure??

Rear shock removal/installation procedure?? 2004.5 Sportsman 500HO

I'm assuming since its not in the service manual that its a easy procedure, but before I dig in can anyone post some directions and pointers?

Thanks much

Brian

Old 11-13-2015, 12:46 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 34 Likes on 34 Posts

You need to have some sort of spring compressor to remove this tough spring so you can replace the shock itself. A good vice is really needed also. Possibly some have used some sort of small compressor or ratchet straps? but I had the perfect tool as we had to do so many of them,but it's 90 bucks at Amazon.. Makes shorts work of compressing springs so you can remove the spring retainer and slip the spring off the shock body. Or you can rent a small pair of spring compressors at most auto stores that would work.

Attached Thumbnails Rear shock removal/installation procedure??-31rdpfpft3l._sx300_.jpg  
Old 11-13-2015, 07:16 PM
Trailblazer

Thanks OPT, so just compress the spring then unbolt from the top and bottom and the shock comes out .. What I need now is a good heavy-duty spring for a big guy like me -- 260lbs .. I read somewhere that 140b springs would be a good fit.

Old 11-14-2015, 06:15 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

Originally Posted by bthrel
so just compress the spring then unbolt from the top and bottom and the shock comes out .. What I need now is a good heavy-duty spring for a big guy like me -- 260lbs .. I read somewhere that 140b springs would be a good fit.
Compressing the spring is after you remove the shock assembly from the machine. Removal is straight forward,just jack up the rear end,remove the tire,remove the bolts from top and bottom of the shock and remove it from the frame.Same for the other side.Then the spring compressor and vice come into play to remove the spring. If the shock is still ok it can be reused. heavy springs are available on ebay,etc for the Sportsman. Here's an example of a 140# spring from Epi.Epi Rear Heavy Duty 140 Pound Rate Black Shock Spring for Polaris WE321519 | eBay

Old 11-14-2015, 10:31 AM
Trailblazer

Thanks once again OPT for sharing your wealth of knowledge .. as always you are a gentleman and a scholar..

Have a great weekend

Brian

Old 11-18-2015, 12:41 PM
Pro Rider

I have the heavy EPI springs and are they are good. Also make sure to adjust the spring tensioner to the stiffest setting.

Old 11-18-2015, 12:50 PM
Trailblazer

Yes Sir, I have the 140Lb springs, just arrived at the house, plant to do them next week while I'm off ... Was wondering about the bushings though, hope they are good as it seems hard to find them .. Shocks appear fine..

Old 11-18-2015, 02:22 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

There out there but are expensive. Polaris ATV Trail Boss Magnum Xplorer Shock Bushings Made in USA | eBay Plus you might be able to find polyurethane bushings that may work.energysuspension.com | Shock Eye Bushings

Old 11-18-2015, 02:36 PM
Trailblazer

Yes Sir, I saw those on eBay.. I'm going to take the approach that they are good to reuse until proven otherwise ... If its like the rest of the repairs I did on this bike it will be down for a extra week while I order the bushings ..LOL

Thanks again guys for all the advice ... Y;all are the best

Brian

Old 01-05-2016, 07:55 AM
Trailblazer
Default 140# springs in ,but I need more I think

Ok,

So I installed the new 140# springs, shocks seemed in good shape, but.. I;m still not happy. Even with the lightest load on the back the front seems to loose traction (poor grip on the ground so steering isn't as positive as it should be). I do have a Koplin drop basket on the rear, but its empty. For example, I'm 270lbs and if I take my 50 pound granddaughter for a ride it seems like the front it light steering wise... any suggestions other than a bigger ATV for this fat guy?

Thanks

Brian

Quick Reply: Rear shock removal/installation procedure??