Polaris Ask an Expert! In fond memory of Old Polaris Tech. An area where experts in their field will answer non-general questions about your Polaris ATV.
"old polaris tech" and other experts will answer your questions as they have time.
ASK ALL GENERAL QUESTIONS OR BASIC QUESTIONS IN THE POLARIS FORUM.
Basic or General questions posted in a expert section will be moved!

Polaris Sportsman 500 - Diagnosis code 55

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2016, 09:14 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Polaris Sportsman 500 - Diagnosis code 55

Hi, brand new to the site and pretty new to ATV. I have a 2008 Sportsman 500 Touring EFI. About 3 months ago was having issues w/ battery holding a charge and it starting. I had to pull start often. It would run for an hour and then when I stopped for a break, it wouldnt turn over or even show a display. At the end, I got alot of backfiring and would run rough. Long story short I have since replaced battery, stator and voltage reg. which seemed to fix my issue w/ the starting.
But...now I get a check engine light. I ran thru the diagnostic mode and I get an error code 55. Per the book and several sites, its shows:
55 Diagnostic Lamp: Open Load
55 Diagnostic Lamp: Short Circuit to Ground
55 Diagnostic Lamp: Short Circuit To Battery

I have disconnected the battery and waited 10 min and reconnected and cont to get same code 55.

but I cant find hardly any info on what these codes actually mean, how to check them and most impt how to fix. Any help/direction you all can offer would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!
Jr

Old 09-19-2016, 01:14 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 36 Likes on 36 Posts

A lot of times bogus codes can pop up like the 55 or 22(loss of synchronization). The most common problem on efi machines wasn't the sensors,but the connectors and thin wiring. Look at the "sticky" post above about 700/800 efi problems.Applies to all efi machines. Most of the time on rough idle,back firing,hard starting was the tbap/map connector or wiring. Wires could have a bare spot or melt internally. Wires could even pull out of the cheap connectors. The sticky post list a place that offers better harness repair kits than Polaris has which are the same thin wiring and connectors and are just plain junk. Like the manuals say, 80% of efi problems are wiring related.https://otbpowersports.com/products/

Old 09-26-2016, 09:28 AM
Weekend Warrior

Old Polaris Tech - Thanks for the info. Pretty new to this forum stuff, so I apologize for some of these ?'s......but I'm not sure what you mean about "sticky" post above about 700/800 efi problems. Is there another link to 'sticky' notes?

Are you suggesting, otb powersports to buy a new/better harness for tbap/map connector?

is there a way to clear the 55 code? For some reason I feel like the code maybe left over from before the stator/v.reg replacement.

thank you!
Jr

Old 09-26-2016, 09:51 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

https://atvconnection.com/forums/pol...ap-wiring.html This article applies to 500 efi machines also and pretty well sums up the thin wiring and connector problems on the efi machines. And yes it links to OTB that has better harness repair kits than Polaris does. 80% of efi problems are wiring related as the manuals state and thin wiring and cheap connectors were the common cause. Usually rough idle,backfiring was tbap harness or connector relate and a good repair kit can usually solve this. Check the wiring on the tps and tbap sensors for any bare spots or soft feeling wires that could have melted internally.Plus wiring can pull from the cheap connectors and lose contact. Again usually the tbap harness was the problem on this.To remove codes you can install the repair kit and then remove the battery positive wire for about a minute and usually codes will clear.https://otbpowersports.com/products/ Sounds like this is the repair kit you need.https://otbpowersports.com/product/t...epair-harness/

Old 10-04-2016, 01:01 PM
Weekend Warrior

OPT - thanks again for the info. Sorry for delay I was out of town for work.
In any case, I just want to make sure I'm following you and the article you sents train of thought....

I understand you are saying that wiring harnesses are usually the issue with EFI machines, just want to confirm that you're thinking that this tbap harness would most likely throw code 55, if I cant find any other harnesses w/ loose wires or worn wires.

So, I'm thinking I buy one of these T-BAP Wiring Repair Harness repair kits and replace it based on what you are saying. Even though the article doesn't specifically that this Tbap harness is the problem for a Error code 55. It lists a few other error codes, just not specifically code 55.

Thanks again for your help and insight.
If I get your go ahead, I order one.
thanks!
Jr

Old 10-04-2016, 02:40 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

The backfiring and running rough at idle are "usually" t-bap related. This is what I and the the other techs have replaced more than any other harness repair kit. Codes that are thrown are again not always related to what's actually wrong or what's happening. I've had this code 55(diagnostic lamp) show up on atvs and Rangers along with other codes and most I was able to clear once I did a harness repair kit and disconnected the battery. If in doubt you can always have it put on Digital Wrench as the codes 45,46 associated with a t-bap problem may not always show up on the display,especially on intermittent shorts. Plus Digital Wrench may be able to find some other areas that need to be addressed. It's a crap shoot sometimes on diagnosing your own efi problems at home in the garage.

Old 10-08-2016, 07:49 AM
Weekend Warrior

OPT,
thank you for the info. Very helpful.
I'm embarrassed to even mention this, but is there a schematic or diagram that shows me where the tbap harness is located? I've got the replacement I had you suggested on order but thought I'd check out where it goes before it arrives. I googled it and cant find a 2008 sportsman efi tbap location.
any help/direction you can offer is appreciated.
thanks!
JR

Old 10-08-2016, 11:52 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

Located right on the intake manifold. Held in place by a metal bracket and screw. Check over the rubber grommet also as they can split and leak and cause problems also. Items 20,21 in the attached pic. It's listed with all the sensors,but you can see where it goes in this parts break down. http://www.cyclepartswarehouse.com/o...-fuel-injector

Attached Thumbnails Polaris Sportsman 500 - Diagnosis code 55-index.png  
Old 10-30-2016, 08:33 AM
Weekend Warrior
Default Update

OPT,
You nailed it! That harness was exactly my problem. Those wires look like phone wires they are so small and brittle, plus the covering was worn and arcing. After I fixed that, all my errors cleared and it has run perfectly.

Thank you!!

Just a side note....the link to OTB for the bmap harness was incorrect for my machine. Mine has a 3 wire plug. the harness they provided was a 4 wire plug. So i couldn't use the harness i bought. I simply spliced in/soldered in high gauge flexible wire for each one. I reused the same plug after cleaning it up.

so far, so good. thanks again!

Old 10-30-2016, 09:40 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

Sorry I linked you to the wrong kit.. Anyway glad you were able to find the problem and hope it holds up for you.This thin wiring can pull back from the oem connector pins also so if it ever acts up again you at least know where to get the correct repair kit. Yes these thin wires reminded me of telephone wires also and really are just too thin to hold up under constant vibration. Also the codes popping up don't always reflect what's happening and as you've seen most times they disappear when you repair the affected area. Good luck on the repair and hope you can get in some good riding time.

Quick Reply: Polaris Sportsman 500 - Diagnosis code 55