Polaris Ask an Expert! In fond memory of Old Polaris Tech. An area where experts in their field will answer non-general questions about your Polaris ATV.
"old polaris tech" and other experts will answer your questions as they have time.
ASK ALL GENERAL QUESTIONS OR BASIC QUESTIONS IN THE POLARIS FORUM.
Basic or General questions posted in a expert section will be moved!

won't idle has code

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2017, 09:47 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default won't idle has code

Hello,

I have a 2014 Polaris 570 Sportsman EFI EPS. The machine won't idle. If it does the idle is rough. Hold the throttle open it runs fine.

It shows code 520 194 7 and the check engine light is on steady. I downloaded the Polaris service manual for this machine. Between it and reading other posts about this code I looked at the throttle safety switches. If I put a piece of paper between the contacts the machine will idle but the idle rpms are over 3,000. I don't have to move the throttle. Just keeping the contacts from touching causes the rpm to go high.

I can't find the next step in troubleshooting or what to replace. Any and all help is greatly appreciated. Thank you!!

Old 06-29-2017, 11:16 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

Sounds like you need to adjust the throttle slack. Should be 2mm clearance between the etc contacts in the throttle housing or the etc points can bounce off each other or kill the machine.At least the earlier models required that. Cable adjuster should be down from the throttle housing.

Old 06-29-2017, 11:51 AM
Weekend Warrior

Thank you. I'll try adjusting the throttle cable and report back.

Old 06-29-2017, 02:19 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

Older 850 XP shows 2-3 mm between throttle arm and stop pin. Contacts should be closed at an idle position. If you have the owners manual it should show adjustment procedure.It may be the same or may have changed on the later models..

Old 06-29-2017, 05:09 PM
Weekend Warrior

I tried to adj the throttle per the text from the manual below. No help. I took the air filter off to look at the throttle plate. Started it up and problem went away. Revved it several times ok. Put it all together, quick ride no issues. I suspect something in the throttle system was stuck and now free. Below is throttle adj and info about the throttle switch now called Throttle Release Switch

This is the throttle adj from the manual. Throttle Cable / Throttle Release System
(TRS Switch) Adjustment
1. Slide boot off throttle cable adjuster and jam nut.
2. Place shift selector in neutral and set parking brake.
3. Loosen lock nut on in-line cable adjuster (Ill. 1).
4. Turn adjuster until specified freeplay is achieved at
thumb lever. (see illustration). After making
adjustments, quickly actuate the thumb lever several
times and reverify freeplay.
Throttle Freeplay:
.0625 - .1250" (1.58 - 3.17mm)
5. Tighten lock nut securely and slide boot completely
in place to ensure a water-resistant seal.
6. Turn handlebars from left to right through the entire
turning range. If idle speed increases, check for
proper cable routing. If cable is routed properly and
in good condition, repeat adjustment procedure
MAINTENANCE

The switch in the throttle is now called TRS, Throttle Release Switch. From the manual: THROTTLE RELEASE SWITCH (TRS)
Throttle Release Switch (TRS)
The Throttle Release Switch (TRS) switch is designed to close during throttle movement in the event the throttle cable
sticks or breaks.
When the throttle lever is at idle position, the TRS switch contacts should be closed (touching). When the throttle lever
is moved the contacts will open and allow normal operation. If the contacts remain closed or become closed during

Old 06-29-2017, 05:16 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

Sounds like the same thing but called a different name now. Contacts still show to be closed at idle like the older 850 was.Glad you got it running right. On problems like that I just shake my head and blame it on Gremlins and go on to something else...

Old 06-29-2017, 05:18 PM
Weekend Warrior

Yup think these things have gremlins.....try working on airplanes. Lot's of FM....freaking magic. LOL