Polaris Ask an Expert! In fond memory of Old Polaris Tech. An area where experts in their field will answer non-general questions about your Polaris ATV.
"old polaris tech" and other experts will answer your questions as they have time.
ASK ALL GENERAL QUESTIONS OR BASIC QUESTIONS IN THE POLARIS FORUM.
Basic or General questions posted in a expert section will be moved!

Polaris 350L water pump seals installation

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2017, 07:16 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Polaris 350L water pump seals installation

I just had my counter balance repaired do to coolant leaking. I'm replacing my water pump seals and bearings. My water pump housing has a weep hole. Do I push my bearing all the way in until it stop in front of the weep hole and push my seal all the way in on the other side and stop in front of the weep hole? I was told by a guy who repairs counterbalances to push bearing all the way in and press the seal all the way in until they all smash together. If I do that the weep hole is covered by the bearing. Is the weep hole there to allow oil in to lube the seals on the counterbalance shaft? I am replacing with a sealed bearing also..

Old 08-05-2017, 09:31 PM
Moto Psycho
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You don't have to post the same thing in 3 different places. It just causes confusion. What you were told may be wrong. OPT can give you better advice about water pump seals than I can.

Old 08-05-2017, 10:09 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for replying. This is my first time on the site wasn't for sure how people saw threads on here. How can I get advise from OPT? Can I delete a thread once I started one

Old 08-06-2017, 12:09 AM
Moto Psycho
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Old Polaris Tech is usually on here sometime in the morning and knows more about Polaris ATVs than anyone. I don't know if you can delete a thread or not. I think you can for a very limited time.

Old 08-06-2017, 01:06 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

The hole in the housing is to allow counter balancer fluid to lubricate the bearing. The inner seal must not cover the hole. The outer seal is then installed flush with the inner seal. Whether it's a 90-93 350L,these cheap manuals go into good detail and show pics on this and other critical engine repairs.Polaris ATV Service Manuals PDF Download I wouldn't use a sealed bearing on the water pump. This high speed bearing needs all the lubrication it can get and there's only about 100 ccs of oil to begin with in the counter balancer cavity. Have had people that have done that only to have the bearing making noise after awhile. Whether it's metal or rubber shielded you can pry the shielding off on both sides.No need to get another bearing.

Last edited by old polaris tech; 08-06-2017 at 01:51 AM. Reason: Sealed w/p bearing..