Polaris Ask an Expert! In fond memory of Old Polaris Tech. An area where experts in their field will answer non-general questions about your Polaris ATV.
"old polaris tech" and other experts will answer your questions as they have time.
ASK ALL GENERAL QUESTIONS OR BASIC QUESTIONS IN THE POLARIS FORUM.
Basic or General questions posted in a expert section will be moved!

Motor swap

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2017, 01:14 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Motor swap

Would a engine from a 99 sportsman fit in a 04 sportsman? Or would any parts be interchangeable?

Old 11-30-2017, 01:21 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 36 Likes on 36 Posts

Basic engines would interchange with one another,but keep the 2004 stator and electrical components along with the larger intake manifold and carb that the HO used.Only major difference between the two was the the 2004 had a longer duration cam,(lobe height was the same on both),larger carb versus the 99 model.But if the HO cam is ok,I'd swap it out also as the 99 cam fell into the year models with cam problems.

Old 11-30-2017, 01:35 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the response! A guy I know has a bad rod knock. I guess the engine is basically shot according to a mechanic he took it to. My 99 runs good, but is missing the headlight assembly. Would it be worth it to swap the engine? Or even to have the 04 for spare parts? Just didn't know how interchangeable anything would be.

Old 11-30-2017, 01:55 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 36 Likes on 36 Posts

If you're trying to get the 2004 up and running then yes this could be a way to do it by swapping the basic engine,but use the electrical parts that's on the 04. Then when you have time you can go through the other engine to rebuilt it or scrounge other parts.