Polaris Ask an Expert! In fond memory of Old Polaris Tech. An area where experts in their field will answer non-general questions about your Polaris ATV.
"old polaris tech" and other experts will answer your questions as they have time.
ASK ALL GENERAL QUESTIONS OR BASIC QUESTIONS IN THE POLARIS FORUM.
Basic or General questions posted in a expert section will be moved!

Polaris sportsman

Old 12-03-2017, 05:53 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Polaris sportsman

I pulled the choke to on cold start let it idle for a min or 2 as I pushed the choke back in there was a metal grinding noise which almost sounded like grinding gears. She stalled & wouldn't start again. Any ideas as to what happened?

Old 12-03-2017, 06:03 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I can only think of 1 scenario : Something inside the carburetor let go and went into the motor. I really don't think so, just a coincidence, but you'll have to eliminate what it isn't first. Is compression ok? Whatever made that sound, is probably bad, though. You could bore scope inside the cylinder to eliminate the first scenario.

Old 12-03-2017, 06:13 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

Can you pull the recoil starter ok? If so hopefully not in the engine but could be the bendix throwing a spring or weights. Pull the recoil cover off first to see it any damage there. If the bendix is ok,can kick out and in manually plus you can turn the flywheel ok,it may be internal.Depending on what year model you have,some of the older models could throw flywheel magnets also and screw up stators.

Search this Thread