Polaris Ask an Expert! In fond memory of Old Polaris Tech. An area where experts in their field will answer non-general questions about your Polaris ATV.
"old polaris tech" and other experts will answer your questions as they have time.
ASK ALL GENERAL QUESTIONS OR BASIC QUESTIONS IN THE POLARIS FORUM.
Basic or General questions posted in a expert section will be moved!

2004 Sportsman 700

Old 11-02-2018, 02:07 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Jeff Cohen
Hmmmm I’ll have to check out that hole, I just concentrated mostly on the stuff in the bowl. Thanks
Crossing fingers! There could be more than one pipe back there as well. Verify all are clear.

Old 11-05-2018, 02:29 PM
Weekend Warrior

Haven’t had a chance to pull the carb again and check out more orifices, hopefully soon. One question though, what is the point of the “fuel pump”, or whatever they call it? Should fuel come out of the line that goes from the pump to the carb without the quad running? Seems like it operates on vacuum somehow, just don’t understand what the purpose of it is when I can drain my tank through this line, or essentially just feed the carb using gravity like a lot of other quads... maybe this can be causing my issue?

Old 11-05-2018, 03:11 PM
Pro Rider

Haven’t had a chance to pull the carb again and check out more orifices, hopefully soon. One question though, what is the point of the “fuel pump”, or whatever they call it? Should fuel come out of the line that goes from the pump to the carb without the quad running? Seems like it operates on vacuum somehow, just don’t understand what the purpose of it is when I can drain my tank through this line, or essentially just feed the carb using gravity like a lot of other quads... maybe this can be causing my issue?
They can gravity feed through the pump and they do work on vacuum. My thoughts, is possibly gravity feed isnt sufficient enough fuel supply under WOT. Plenty of fuel supply at low rpm, but carb can consume more that gravity feed will allow at higher rpm, hence the pump, forces fuel to the carb under higher consumption. Just my theory.

Old 11-07-2018, 09:05 PM
Weekend Warrior

Checked to make sure the carb was all clear for like the 4th time, shot carb cleaner through all the holes I saw and everything seemed clear and had it shootin out other orifices/holes and into my eyes lol. I’m at a loss for ideas at this point. I was able to get it to run a little bit better by backing out the fuel/air mixture screw probably like a total of 7 turns out now (which I know is way too much), and she almost wants to rev up when I give it gas and will almost if I baby the throttle and slowly hit it just right, but still no where near good or consistent. I just don’t get how it still can’t be getting enough fuel. I’m thinking of just getting a new carb on amazon/eBay and hoping for the best, this just makes no sense.

Old 11-07-2018, 09:51 PM
Pro Rider

A new carb may be what it needs, hopefully it's a good one! Try this, get a can of carb cleaner, run it, try to briefly spray carb cleaner in it when you try to rap it up. My guess, is if you do and it does rap up, your lacking fuel. Just like choking the air intake helps it rap out.
Since it's an aftermarket carb, I'm not sure how to help you get the correct jetting. I can get you some specs for OEM, it just depends on the Chinese jetting.
I have jet gauges I use to help with this type of problem. I wish they had the stock carb. Way better quality.

Does the main jet unscrew on this carb?
Does it have a number on the jet if so?

Old 11-08-2018, 05:24 AM
Weekend Warrior

I actually tried that with the carb cleaner last night and it did rev up which is why I assume even more it’s a fuel issue. It’s an aftermarket carb but it did work when it was originally installed so I don’t think it’s a jetting issue. I believe I have the original carb for it laying around but it was replaced by this aftermarket one to remedy a no start issue from sitting and such. I’d probably be able to steal jets outta it if I want probably but I’ve removed the jets on this aftermarket one and cleaned them and they seemed fine.

Old 11-08-2018, 07:03 AM
Weekend Warrior

I just cleaned up the original stock carb, only issue is the brass choke cable fitting that goes into this aftermarket one is a different size (smaller on this aftermarket one) as the original, so I can’t throw the original back in yet cuz the choke cable won’t screw in. They must have swapped it out when the carb was replaced and don’t know where that piece is for the original. I just ordered a new brass fitting for the Mikuni carb so when I receive it I’ll try throwing the stock carb back in and see what happens I guess

Old 11-26-2018, 09:32 AM
Weekend Warrior

Finalllyyyy got it running. I cleaned the stock carb out that I found laying around and ordered a piece that was missing off of it for the choke cable holder. She purrs like a kitten now. Can’t believe that crappy chinese replacement carb was the issue even still after cleaning it. Thanks for all the help throughout this. Crossing my fingers that this fix holds up lol!

Old 11-26-2018, 05:43 PM
THE BERMINATOR
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Good! Unless it's actually broken beyond repair, a rebuilt OEM carb is better than a brand new Chinese knockoff any day. JMO.

Old 11-27-2018, 05:14 PM
Pro Rider

Finalllyyyy got it running. I cleaned the stock carb out that I found laying around and ordered a piece that was missing off of it for the choke cable holder. She purrs like a kitten now. Can’t believe that crappy chinese replacement carb was the issue even still after cleaning it. Thanks for all the help throughout this. Crossing my fingers that this fix holds up lol!
Sweet. Those carbs are terrible as far as I'm concern. Have seen a few that werent any good. Glad you got it going.