Polaris Ask an Expert! In fond memory of Old Polaris Tech. An area where experts in their field will answer non-general questions about your Polaris ATV.
"old polaris tech" and other experts will answer your questions as they have time.
ASK ALL GENERAL QUESTIONS OR BASIC QUESTIONS IN THE POLARIS FORUM.
Basic or General questions posted in a expert section will be moved!

87 Trail Boss 4x4 front axles

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2020, 10:56 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 87 Trail Boss 4x4 front axles

Hello,

I've been replacing all the bearings and partially restoring my 87 trail boss. I wanted to replace the CV boots but I struggled a long time trying to take apart the joint. I eventually cut the bearing holder so I could get it apart and see what was happening. The splines on the center of the CV had a taper on the opposite side of the snap ring. I assumed it was assembled wrong and this taper was supposed to help compress the snap ring so you can pull out the shaft. Since this one was destroyed I started looking for new ones and found a couple of companies. When they showed up I was a bit worried because the outboard CV was able to plunge in and out. The originals had no movement in length. I put it together and sure enough after a bit of riding the shaft pulled out of the CV. To me the axle is a structural part of the suspension on these machines. Can anyone confirm this? The other two arms that go out to the upright are able to slide on each other so it doesn't fix the tire in place. Any ideas are appreciated and if you know where to get correct replacement axles even better!