Polaris Ask an Expert! In fond memory of Old Polaris Tech. An area where experts in their field will answer non-general questions about your Polaris ATV.
"old polaris tech" and other experts will answer your questions as they have time.
ASK ALL GENERAL QUESTIONS OR BASIC QUESTIONS IN THE POLARIS FORUM.
Basic or General questions posted in a expert section will be moved!

2000 335 Speedometer trouble

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2017, 10:31 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by old polaris tech
A lot of Chinese made master cylinders on ebay that would work no matter what model they referenced as all had 3/4" bars. Wouldn't doubt that a lot of major brands are using Chinese master cylinders now anyway.Polaris master cylinder eBay Or if it's just the reservoir that's bad you can buy the reservoir kit for 42 bucks.
True. I ordered a reservoir kit early yesterday, and of course when I tried to loosen the reservoir I found the screws that hold the reservoir on the handle were stripped... so now tonight I ordered what looks like a good used master cylinder that includes the brake line for $60 shipped. Guess I'll probably eBay the reservoir kit if I don't need it.

Can you simplify something for me? I'm not sure which wires to splice together under the hood on my 335 to try to get my 4wd to work. I think it's the 2 brown wires on what looks like a relay on the firewall, but which in the harness do I couple those to?

Old 03-01-2017, 07:41 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

It's the brown/white and solid brown wire in the speedo harness that you jump together or you can just jump the brown/white to the common grounds(brown) located either on the frame or coil mount. Again this just takes the ground path away from the speedo and most cases restores the awd switch and light.

Old 03-01-2017, 11:37 AM
Trailblazer

It's the brown/white and solid brown wire in the speedo harness that you jump together or you can just jump the brown/white to the common grounds(brown) located either on the frame or coil mount. Again this just takes the ground path away from the speedo and most cases restores the awd switch and light.
Okay - I'll see if I can just ground the brown/white to the brown. I tried a wire on the speedometer brown to brown/white and that didn't work for me. I got a little nervous when it didn't work, so I hope there's nothing bad wrong with this thing...

Old 03-01-2017, 12:44 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

Another place the awd looses ground is from the speedo down. Stronger grounds on the wires there can solve many awd problems as noted in the video.

Old 03-04-2017, 08:51 PM
Trailblazer

Another place the awd looses ground is from the speedo down. Stronger grounds on the wires there can solve many awd problems as noted in the video. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wlfJ8escEFo
I didn't get a chance to try under the hood today - I replaced the master cylinder and it has some serious brakes now - but doggone it... I rounded off one of the lugs so I couldn't get the wheel off the side that's squealing some. I did bleed them well on the front.

I also drained the hubs and replaced the fluid. Pretty easy job and there weren't any filings in the old fluid.

I did play around with the ground on the speedometer for a minute. I ran a wire from the brown/white lug in the harness and grounded it to one of the crossmembers under the hood. Funny - when I put it in H it would turn on the Reverse light. Taking that ground off made it work normally.

I also saw a 2-prong harness that's been disconnected right at the battery. I haven't had time to look at the manual to see what that is supposed to be doing. When I press the brake lever the brake light comes on, but pressing the emergency brake does not light it up. Wonder if that's a rear brake light harness... It's black wires with what looks like a 2-prong trailer coupling on it.

Old 03-04-2017, 08:52 PM
Trailblazer

Originally Posted by mrstangblb
I didn't get a chance to try under the hood today - I replaced the master cylinder and it has some serious brakes now - but doggone it... I rounded off one of the lugs so I couldn't get the wheel off the side that's squealing some. I did bleed them well on the front.

I also drained the hubs and replaced the fluid. Pretty easy job and there weren't any filings in the old fluid.

I did play around with the ground on the speedometer for a minute. I ran a wire from the brown/white lug in the harness and grounded it to one of the crossmembers under the hood. Funny - when I put it in H it would turn on the Reverse light. Taking that ground off made it work normally.

I also saw a 2-prong harness that's been disconnected right at the battery. I haven't had time to look at the manual to see what that is supposed to be doing. When I press the brake lever the brake light comes on, but pressing the emergency brake does not light it up. Wonder if that's a rear brake light harness... It's black wires with what looks like a 2-prong trailer coupling on it.
The 4wd light did not come on, by the way.

Old 03-05-2017, 01:22 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

The two prong plug is for accessory plug ins. Try the under hood ground and see if it solves the awd problem.

Old 03-05-2017, 05:29 AM
Trailblazer

The two prong plug is for accessory plug ins. Try the under hood ground and see if it solves the awd problem.
Just to make sure - I need to ground the 2 Brown wires to the brown/white wire?

Old 03-05-2017, 09:42 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

The way most have done and also the guy in the video,snip the 4 ground wires(two are in the two connectors) join them with the lower portion of the wires,4 total wires. Have a larger wire spliced into these four to a better ground such as the coil mounting bolt.

Old 03-05-2017, 10:57 AM
Trailblazer

Here is why I am confused. I see the brown wires on the left circled, but I don't see the 2 white connectors like in the video. I do see these black ones circled - one with a white and a white / red, the other with no other white wires.

Quick Reply: 2000 335 Speedometer trouble