Polaris Ask an Expert! In fond memory of Old Polaris Tech. An area where experts in their field will answer non-general questions about your Polaris ATV.
"old polaris tech" and other experts will answer your questions as they have time.
ASK ALL GENERAL QUESTIONS OR BASIC QUESTIONS IN THE POLARIS FORUM.
Basic or General questions posted in a expert section will be moved!

2009 Polaris 4X4 700 front yoke stuck

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2017, 03:04 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2009 Polaris 4X4 700 front yoke stuck

Hi,
I was able to remove the roll pin out of the front yoke and the slip yoke on the transmission is free but the yoke is froze on the front gearcase output shaft. I have hammered it with a punch and 4lb hammer and my Harbor Freight air chisel after soaking it with PB Blaster and Liquid Wrench but no movement on that front yoke. Should I risk heating it and possibly damaging the front gearcase seals ? Any help would be VERY appreciated.

Thanks again !
TN's

Old 03-21-2017, 03:53 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

Heat along with penetrants will probably help remove the yoke from the shaft. If the seal becomes damaged,that's the chance you have to take. I've removed a lot of front prop shafts from front diffs,sometimes having to use a propane torch and impacting them off without damaging seals.Concentrate the flame toward the yoke as far away from the seal as possible. Really must be frozen and corroded as most of the prop shafts I removed were fairly easy to impact the rear yoke back on the splines toward the gear case enough to free the front yoke from the diff.

Old 03-24-2017, 07:01 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Seeeeeezed

Thanks OPT, ended up pulling gearcase, prop shaft and all and using heat/PB Blaster and a BIG puller to remove the yoke. Coated the shaft with NEVER SEZE and used a 2" X 5/16" bolt with a self locking nut going back in.
Thanks again for all you do !

TN's

Old 03-25-2017, 06:31 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

Sounded like a tough one. Glad you were able to get it off.