08 Polaris Sportsman 800 EFI 4WD problems - Page 2 - ATVConnection.com ATV Enthusiast Community



Polaris ATVs - Ask an Expert! An area where experts in their field will answer non-general questions about your Polaris ATV.
"old polaris tech" and other experts will answer your questions as they have time.
ASK ALL GENERAL QUESTIONS OR BASIC QUESTIONS IN THE POLARIS FORUM.
Basic or General questions posted in a expert section will be moved!

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
  #11  
Old 04-18-2017, 11:23 PM
Trailblazer
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Posts: 28
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by old polaris tech View Post
Dc voltage setting. If no voltage is present while key is on,in gear and awd switch on,could be the problem of loosing ground through the speedo that some have had. If this is the case(and the awd light isn't on) you can try jumping the brown white wire to the solid brown in the speedo harness. This bypasses the speedo for the awd ground circuit.
I tested for volts at 4 wire plug for the coil, it was jumping between 7.3 - 11.6 volts and everything between that...so I'm getting voltage to it. I went through a lot of the wiring to see if there were any broken ground wires, I did find a couple wires that had been tapped into prior to me owning it so I cut the bad looking connections and reconnected them and heat shrink wrapped them.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 04-19-2017, 03:41 AM
old polaris tech's Avatar
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: North Texas
Posts: 21,788
Default

I'd still just use a jumper wire between the brown/white and brown before it goes into the speedo and see if that helps.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 04-19-2017, 09:29 AM
Trailblazer
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Posts: 28
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by old polaris tech View Post
I'd still just use a jumper wire between the brown/white and brown before it goes into the speedo and see if that helps.
Ok, I will check that out tonight,

its still safe to say that I need to buy a new coil, ( the one you sent me the link to) cause I don't have the correct of ohms?
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 04-19-2017, 10:17 AM
old polaris tech's Avatar
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: North Texas
Posts: 21,788
Default

Ohms is a fairly good test but not always absolute. If the bypass doesn't work then sounds like it's down to the coil.
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 04-19-2017, 11:29 AM
Trailblazer
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Posts: 28
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by old polaris tech View Post
Ohms is a fairly good test but not always absolute. If the bypass doesn't work then sounds like it's down to the coil.
Ok, awesome, I'll defiantly check tonight when I work on it, I appreciate your help!
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 04-20-2017, 10:14 PM
Trailblazer
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Posts: 28
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by old polaris tech View Post
Dc voltage setting. If no voltage is present while key is on,in gear and awd switch on,could be the problem of loosing ground through the speedo that some have had. If this is the case(and the awd light isn't on) you can try jumping the brown white wire to the solid brown in the speedo harness. This bypasses the speedo for the awd ground circuit.
would it still be ok to use the jumper wire if the AWD light is on? When I switch it to 4x4 the display does show up on the dash.
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 04-21-2017, 04:03 AM
old polaris tech's Avatar
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: North Texas
Posts: 21,788
Default

Yes it's still ok to use the jumper. Just because the awd light is on doesn't mean that you haven't lost a good ground between the speedo and the the diff itself.If this doesn't help,but you have voltage to the coil hot wire,then more than likely the coil is faulty.
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 05-09-2017, 11:47 AM
Trailblazer
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Posts: 28
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by old polaris tech View Post
Yes it's still ok to use the jumper. Just because the awd light is on doesn't mean that you haven't lost a good ground between the speedo and the the diff itself.If this doesn't help,but you have voltage to the coil hot wire,then more than likely the coil is faulty.
So im an idiot, I've been testing the wrong coil.... The main AWD coil is reading 22.8 OHMs and when it is running I was getting 13.1 volts at the coil. The ADC coil is the one with the lower reading.
When the quad is running in gear and the switch in the AWD possition, my front axles are spinning with no resistance on them, and I can grab them and hold them from spinning I can feel like it wants to engage, but they don't. I did try the jumper wire like you mentioned I do, but that didn't change anything.
So now I'm wondering does the ADC coil work with the AWD coil when it's not switched into ADC?
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 05-09-2017, 04:37 PM
old polaris tech's Avatar
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: North Texas
Posts: 21,788
Default

Do the reground anyway. Since the main awd coil checks out,if it still doesn't engage,then It's probably something internal. Adc works with the main coil when switched to adc position. Just an internal clutch brake when descending hills.
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 05-10-2017, 07:20 AM
Trailblazer
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Posts: 28
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by old polaris tech View Post
Do the reground anyway. Since the main awd coil checks out,if it still doesn't engage,then It's probably something internal. Adc works with the main coil when switched to adc position. Just an internal clutch brake when descending hills.

just want to confirm, is this what you meant for the jumper wire..... Going from the brown/white to the brown wire?
Reply With Quote
Reply



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:45 PM.


 
  • Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: