Polaris Ask an Expert! In fond memory of Old Polaris Tech. An area where experts in their field will answer non-general questions about your Polaris ATV.
"old polaris tech" and other experts will answer your questions as they have time.
ASK ALL GENERAL QUESTIONS OR BASIC QUESTIONS IN THE POLARIS FORUM.
Basic or General questions posted in a expert section will be moved!

08 Polaris Sportsman 800 EFI 4WD problems

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2017, 11:23 PM
Weekend warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by old polaris tech
Dc voltage setting. If no voltage is present while key is on,in gear and awd switch on,could be the problem of loosing ground through the speedo that some have had. If this is the case(and the awd light isn't on) you can try jumping the brown white wire to the solid brown in the speedo harness. This bypasses the speedo for the awd ground circuit.
I tested for volts at 4 wire plug for the coil, it was jumping between 7.3 - 11.6 volts and everything between that...so I'm getting voltage to it. I went through a lot of the wiring to see if there were any broken ground wires, I did find a couple wires that had been tapped into prior to me owning it so I cut the bad looking connections and reconnected them and heat shrink wrapped them.

Old 04-19-2017, 03:41 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

I'd still just use a jumper wire between the brown/white and brown before it goes into the speedo and see if that helps.

Old 04-19-2017, 09:29 AM
Weekend warrior

I'd still just use a jumper wire between the brown/white and brown before it goes into the speedo and see if that helps.
Ok, I will check that out tonight,

its still safe to say that I need to buy a new coil, ( the one you sent me the link to) cause I don't have the correct of ohms?

Old 04-19-2017, 10:17 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

Ohms is a fairly good test but not always absolute. If the bypass doesn't work then sounds like it's down to the coil.

Old 04-19-2017, 11:29 AM
Weekend warrior

Ohms is a fairly good test but not always absolute. If the bypass doesn't work then sounds like it's down to the coil.
Ok, awesome, I'll defiantly check tonight when I work on it, I appreciate your help!

Old 04-20-2017, 10:14 PM
Weekend warrior

Dc voltage setting. If no voltage is present while key is on,in gear and awd switch on,could be the problem of loosing ground through the speedo that some have had. If this is the case(and the awd light isn't on) you can try jumping the brown white wire to the solid brown in the speedo harness. This bypasses the speedo for the awd ground circuit.
would it still be ok to use the jumper wire if the AWD light is on? When I switch it to 4x4 the display does show up on the dash.

Old 04-21-2017, 04:03 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

Yes it's still ok to use the jumper. Just because the awd light is on doesn't mean that you haven't lost a good ground between the speedo and the the diff itself.If this doesn't help,but you have voltage to the coil hot wire,then more than likely the coil is faulty.

Old 05-09-2017, 11:47 AM
Weekend warrior

Yes it's still ok to use the jumper. Just because the awd light is on doesn't mean that you haven't lost a good ground between the speedo and the the diff itself.If this doesn't help,but you have voltage to the coil hot wire,then more than likely the coil is faulty.
So im an idiot, I've been testing the wrong coil.... The main AWD coil is reading 22.8 OHMs and when it is running I was getting 13.1 volts at the coil. The ADC coil is the one with the lower reading.
When the quad is running in gear and the switch in the AWD possition, my front axles are spinning with no resistance on them, and I can grab them and hold them from spinning I can feel like it wants to engage, but they don't. I did try the jumper wire like you mentioned I do, but that didn't change anything.
So now I'm wondering does the ADC coil work with the AWD coil when it's not switched into ADC?

Old 05-09-2017, 04:37 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

Do the reground anyway. Since the main awd coil checks out,if it still doesn't engage,then It's probably something internal. Adc works with the main coil when switched to adc position. Just an internal clutch brake when descending hills.

Old 05-10-2017, 07:20 AM
Weekend warrior

Do the reground anyway. Since the main awd coil checks out,if it still doesn't engage,then It's probably something internal. Adc works with the main coil when switched to adc position. Just an internal clutch brake when descending hills.

just want to confirm, is this what you meant for the jumper wire..... Going from the brown/white to the brown wire?