Polaris Ask an Expert! In fond memory of Old Polaris Tech. An area where experts in their field will answer non-general questions about your Polaris ATV.
"old polaris tech" and other experts will answer your questions as they have time.
ASK ALL GENERAL QUESTIONS OR BASIC QUESTIONS IN THE POLARIS FORUM.
Basic or General questions posted in a expert section will be moved!

99 scrambler 500 ignition fix

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2017, 06:56 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 99 scrambler 500 ignition fix

I'm getting just one tiny spark when cranking the engine just as I stop cranking. Looking in line I found an ac to dc conversation kit hasn't anyone done this for a fix and does anyone know if the the stator is shot will i still need to replace with the conversion? Any trouble shooting too soon would Ben appreciated
FYI I did unplug the black wire from the Cdi box and that did not improve the situation

Old 05-23-2017, 07:10 AM
Weekend Warrior

Mine did same thing take it out and clean it and use Polaris trans oil not much just enough to oil the gears a tiny bit put it in where your pull rope is. It is common with these scramblers

Old 05-23-2017, 07:13 AM
Weekend Warrior
Default Oh yeah

By the way I was talking about your stator there's a video on YouTube showing you how to do it for that year. Worked on mine my plug wanted to hit but wouldn't it sounded like. Just hear my starter that's it and sounded awful when I did it. I cleaned mine and put a tad bit of oil in it and mine starts every time now with no misfire sound and never did it again

Old 05-23-2017, 12:06 PM
Moto Psycho
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have to disagree with the above. You should never put anything in where your pull rope is.

Old 05-23-2017, 12:51 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

Get a cheap 8 buck manual before you throw any parts at it. Go through the ignition tests and trouble shooting checks that work around the cdi. If these check out,then could be a faulty cdi,left control switch or perhaps something simple. You can also pull the recoil,clean the pick up coil and flywheel from any dirt or grease. The pick up coil ohms resistance should be around 97 ohms.If the pick up coil ohms out ok,a simple tap inward on the pick up coil bracket that moves the coil closer to the flywheel may solve the problem also.https://www.tradebit.com/filedetail....pair-1999-2000