Polaris Ask an Expert! In fond memory of Old Polaris Tech. An area where experts in their field will answer non-general questions about your Polaris ATV.
"old polaris tech" and other experts will answer your questions as they have time.
ASK ALL GENERAL QUESTIONS OR BASIC QUESTIONS IN THE POLARIS FORUM.
Basic or General questions posted in a expert section will be moved!

1995 Xplorer 400 Starter Switch and General Maintenance

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2017, 11:28 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

Yes on both the videos and carb kit..

Old 06-19-2017, 01:12 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I adjusted the pilot screw air screw (was at 3/4 turn, moved out to about 1.5) no smoke at idle, but I get a little smoke if rev it high, so it's beyond the pilot circuit.

I took the jet needle off to inspect. I looked in the service manual and it looks like the jet needle has 5 grooves, what is the "standard" position? Is it the middle??? If the needle or jet are worn, it should run a little rich.

Also where can I get a parts manual for this. I have the 96-98 service manual, maintenance guides, but no parts. I can't find the Users manuals on Polaris site since it does not go back that far.

Thanks,
Tim

Last edited by tprothma; 06-19-2017 at 01:14 PM. Reason: Extra details
Old 06-19-2017, 01:45 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

Usually 2nd to 3rd position from the top on the circlip. One of the problems on the Xplorer was that it was jetted to rich on the main. 200 stock main was way too rich for a lot of the farmers and causal riders down here and in the heat of summer I dropped several of them down to a 190 main jet on the ones that I knew were poking along or casual riders. Plug chopping at speed is still the best way to check jetting. Just get at speed after it's warmed up, hit the kill switch and stop as soon as you can. Let the engine cool down and check the plug color. Should be a tan to medium brown if jetted correctly.Any of the online sites such as Polaris ATV Parts or Polaris ATV OEM Parts, Cycle Parts Warehouse can show the parts break down along with the Pure Polaris Parts Catalog.Browse Plus here's a good section from the manual on carbs and adjustments. You have the VM34 Mikuni.https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...U2gGlaHJWSIlbA