Polaris Ask an Expert! In fond memory of Old Polaris Tech. An area where experts in their field will answer non-general questions about your Polaris ATV.
"old polaris tech" and other experts will answer your questions as they have time.
ASK ALL GENERAL QUESTIONS OR BASIC QUESTIONS IN THE POLARIS FORUM.
Basic or General questions posted in a expert section will be moved!

Missing radiator fluid

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2017, 09:29 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Missing radiator fluid

I have a 1996 Polaris sportsman 500 several months ago I lost all fluid from either a hole in hose or hose pulled off Replaced hoses and fluid and rode for the past month or more no issues. Rode yesterday and over heat light came on turned off and let cool and tried again and the same checked over flow bottle empty. Filled and same results. Pulled plastic and radiator cap and fluid gone. Took 3/4 gallon to fill. No fluid on floor no over heating fan comes on dry underneath any ideas?

Old 07-18-2017, 06:06 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

Coolant has to go somewhere.Since you replaced the hoses either a head gasket,but you should smell coolant burning or leaking,the radiator fins may be seeping especially if it's dirty and you can't see the leak. Or the water pump housing weep hole meaning a w/p seal is bad. That's the more likely area as it will drip down past the frame while you're driving and often stops when at an idle.Make sure the radiator is clean,clean around the bash plate and check the weep hole and bash plate for coolant.

Old 08-06-2017, 05:09 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Update found missing fluid
The over flow bottle back was blown out most likely from the previous over heating pressure. Now I need a new bottle which is most likely unavailable due to it being a 96 sportsman 500 any ideas else I could use?

Old 08-07-2017, 09:35 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

Plenty of them on ebay as they fit all models of the 500.Even the Magnum 425 and Magnum 500 used the same type bottles.1998 POLARIS SPORTSMAN 500 RADIATOR COOLANT RECOVERY JUG BOTTLE & CAP | eBay Even new ones are available if you don't mind spending 60 bucks for one..