Polaris Ask an Expert! In fond memory of Old Polaris Tech. An area where experts in their field will answer non-general questions about your Polaris ATV.
"old polaris tech" and other experts will answer your questions as they have time.
ASK ALL GENERAL QUESTIONS OR BASIC QUESTIONS IN THE POLARIS FORUM.
Basic or General questions posted in a expert section will be moved!

Darn electrical problem with 09 Polaris 800 X2

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2017, 01:16 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Darn electrical problem with 09 Polaris 800 X2

Hello, new to the forum. I just replaced the battery on my 2009 800 X2 and the only thing I get now when starting is the solenoid clicking. I can jump the solenoid and it would start. So I replaced the solenoid. Still just the clicking with the new solenoid. I added my car battery via jumpers to the atv batt connections to rule out a weak battery. At the solenoid switch I get 12v when turning the key on. But when I try to start it, the solenoid just clicks. I'm at a lose now and pulling my hair out. Any suggestions?? So far I have a new battery, new solenoid, and it starts when I short the solenoid so that rules out the starter. What would cause the solenoid to oscillate on and off when I turn the key to start?? I've googled and read till my eyes bled. No error blink codes on the diag.

TIA!

Old 10-12-2017, 04:16 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

Make sure you have a good frame ground on the solenoid,check that battery ground connection is good along with battery positive connection to solenoid.Faulty grounds,corrosion are a couple of the reasons for solenoid problems.Plus check the starter wire. Pull the red cap,loosen the nut a little,wiggle the cable around to make sure you have good contact the tighten the cable nut. Even though a new battery,wouldn't hurt to load test it either. May show 12+ volts but voltage can drop if it happens to have a weak cell.You can test this with a meter. Under a load a battery shouldn't drop lower than 9.5 volts.

Attached Thumbnails Darn electrical problem with 09 Polaris 800 X2-a42ea4481f419b77d0b700f8ed03a6299e4dbb51.png