Polaris Ask an Expert! In fond memory of Old Polaris Tech. An area where experts in their field will answer non-general questions about your Polaris ATV.
"old polaris tech" and other experts will answer your questions as they have time.
ASK ALL GENERAL QUESTIONS OR BASIC QUESTIONS IN THE POLARIS FORUM.
Basic or General questions posted in a expert section will be moved!

98 sportsman 500 awd

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2017, 04:19 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 98 sportsman 500 awd

I just changed from axles and now the front let left wheel does not turn. I jacked the whole wheeler up and the tire will rotate but when I out my hand on it I can stop it. I took the rotor off and the armature plate sticks to the coil but I and peel it off. Doesn't seem to be a very strong magnet.

I looked in my book to see what the ohms should be on the coil and I can not find it...

Old 11-11-2017, 04:38 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

Busy beaver today.. Wiring diagram usually show the coils ohms resistance.24-27 ohms on average between the gray and brown wires. If you haven't replaced the armature plates I'd do that as cheap as they are.If the hub coil checks out, another problem on some was that they'd lose ground from the switch,then to the terminal board, then to the hub coils. Some have made a common ground on the brown hub wires to a better ground area. You might try that also like in the video.

Old 11-11-2017, 08:43 PM
Pro Rider

I have a feeling there is a broken wore or pinched wire. My aunt's bf hit a tree and broke the cv shaft and powers controlling arm... Got that all changed and now that tire doesn't work right... I am getting some power down there but not sure how much... I will check that out tomorrow. Do i check the ohms where the wires plug in to the panel under the headlight?

Old 11-12-2017, 08:48 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

First make sure you're getting 12 volts to the gray wire at it's connector under the front panel. Have to be in gear,awd button on. On checking resistance,just pull the two wires from the connector and check.

Old 11-25-2017, 06:22 PM
Pro Rider

I changed the armature plates and the front tires turn under power now! Thanks opt!

Old 11-26-2017, 09:03 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

Simplest of parts that can cause problems. If an armature plate is magnetized,it can cause a hub to engage even if it's not in awd mode. If a plate is warped or worn,it may not be able to ride evenly on the strut sleeve and inner pole of the strut.Then the coil isn't able to pull the plate strong enough so it can "drag" and allow the hilliard to lock in the hub. Glad new ones solved the problem.