Polaris Ask an Expert! In fond memory of Old Polaris Tech. An area where experts in their field will answer non-general questions about your Polaris ATV.
"old polaris tech" and other experts will answer your questions as they have time.
ASK ALL GENERAL QUESTIONS OR BASIC QUESTIONS IN THE POLARIS FORUM.
Basic or General questions posted in a expert section will be moved!

Awd doesn't engage

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2017, 08:09 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Awd doesn't engage

I have a 1997 Polaris 500 explorer and when I press the awd button the light comes on but it doesn't engage I believe it might be a grounding problem i don't have a wiring diagram for the machine just wondering where to start

Old 11-27-2017, 08:59 PM
Range Rover

I would start by pulling the wires off of the 4wd motor and using a meter to check for voltage to the motor when pushing the switch.

Old 11-28-2017, 03:32 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by ShaneBignell
I have a 1997 Polaris 500 explorer and when I press the awd button the light comes on but it doesn't engage I believe it might be a grounding problem i don't have a wiring diagram for the machine just wondering where to start
Check that you have voltage to the gray wires leading into the two small white connectors under the front panel. Has to be in gear,ignition switch on,awd button engaged.Doesn't have to be running.These wires run to the hub coils. If you do show voltage,then take the two small brown(ground wires), tie into one larger wire and ground it at the coil mount with the rest of the harness ground wires. This should give you a better ground and may solve it. "IF" you're not showing power at the gray wire,then it could be the switch in the shift box is worn and not making a good connection. Item#15 in the parts break down. You can bypass the switch by tracing the gray/white shift switch wire to the terminal board and unplug it. Then plug this wire into the red/white terminal section.The red/white terminals are powered when the ignition switch is turned on.This should power up the awd. As a side note if you didn't know already,the rear wheels have to slip before the front wheels kick in.You can test this in loose gravel,up against a tree or post.You can also check awd operation by jacking the front and back end off the ground a little and see if the front tires engage.

Attached Thumbnails Awd doesn't engage-fbe980f2d4c71924143ca0aff66321e2f964fce5.png  
Old 11-28-2017, 08:58 AM
Weekend Warrior
Smile

Wow thanks for all the info I'll start from the top and work my way down again thanks for all the help appreciate it big time