Polaris Ask an Expert! In fond memory of Old Polaris Tech. An area where experts in their field will answer non-general questions about your Polaris ATV.
"old polaris tech" and other experts will answer your questions as they have time.
ASK ALL GENERAL QUESTIONS OR BASIC QUESTIONS IN THE POLARIS FORUM.
Basic or General questions posted in a expert section will be moved!

2004 atp stator testing

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2017, 02:28 PM
Range Rover
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default 2004 atp stator testing

Im checking specs on 330 stator says yellow to yellow 0.5 ohms yellow to ground no connection!I have 3 yellow wires that come from stator to voltage reg and fan temp box[ECM] what yellows or procedures do I test just making sure im doing right Also OPT can you tell me what #16[jumper] on electrical taillight diagram for apt 330 is for [yellow wire to coil ground screw] have 2 atp's one has one does not{connector just hanging] and both seem to run the same whats there purpose?
thanks for your time

Old 12-06-2017, 02:46 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

0.5 ohms resistance on the yellow stator wires that go to the ecm module(regulator) Shows that you have a 4010944 ecm module. If you're having problems with power or battery charging,the ecm could be the problem as it controls several functions.

Attached Thumbnails 2004 atp stator testing-s-l1600.jpg  
Old 12-06-2017, 03:06 PM
Range Rover

Just wondering what wires to test 3 yellows confused wanting to test pickup and ignition and stator to check specs with front plastics off. Battery seems fine got some hicupps and stalling when running cold till gets warm don't like to take throttle.The carb cleaned and cleaned again and rebuild kit installed The fuel pump is good new fuel filter runs fine when warm oil cooler fan cycles on when hot do you know what #16 jumper could be used for? Thanks again

Old 12-06-2017, 03:44 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

Only thing I can remember is that the jumper was used on models built before 3/31/04. Same thing on the ecm that was used was built before 3/31/03.The 4010697 module was used then. Either way the later ecm (Built after 3/31/03 ) was part number 4010944 and shows on most listings to include the earlier ecm also? Look at which ecm number you have. Possible that you may not have to have the jumper.https://www.partzilla.com/catalog/po...ical-taillight Don't know if this helps any but here's a somewhat similar post on the same thing that was confusing to the owner also.
2004 atp 330 over charging - Polaris ATV Forum Plus if you can,pics may refresh my old memory a little..

Old 12-06-2017, 04:59 PM
Range Rover

yes has the 0944 ecm but believe its been swapped out cause build date sticker on cowl says 03/19/2003 [any other way to check date if sticker is no readable?] It should have earlier ecm 0697 if original ? think I should leave jumper wire # 16 disconnected seeing its got the newer ecm in it
has 14.5 volts running on diagnostic screen if its accurate .etc switch adjusted The Motor just seems cut in and out & stalls while warming up idling . after warmed up ok Everybody else' atvs seem to have there misses after its warmed up baffled!

Old 12-06-2017, 06:32 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

If it's charging 14 volts(use a meter at the battery to confirm) sounds like the jumper harness may not be needed. Charging ok,fan is kicking on and off,these are a couple main areas the ecm controls. Plus you can eliminate the stator as problem area also with charging voltage showing what it should. If the jumper is just hanging loose, no where shown to hook it up, just hang it on the garage wall for the time being.