Polaris Side by Sides Talk about the tough Polaris Sport and Utility

2008 Polaris Ranger 700XP not running right

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2014, 10:52 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2008 Polaris Ranger 700XP not running right

I have a 2008 Polaris Ranger 700XP with 9200 miles on it. After running for about 10-20 minutes the machine acts like it is starving itself for fuel. It does this only after the machine has warmed up. This is a ongoing problem just using last night as a example.

Example 1: We was burning pasture last night and I was moving slowly in low gear to spray out a small fire line. I kept the machine running and idling in low gear without the brake on since I was on flat surface. While sitting the machine died. To restart I have to push on the gas pedal also to get it restarted.

Example 2: Also while burning I was driving up and down the pasture path in high gear just observing the burn. I noticed that the machine was running rough and kind of jerky. I put the machine in neutral and revved the motor up and noticed it cutting out and would backfire. Upon completion of the night I didnt think I was going to make it the 1/4 mile back home. This morning when I started the machine it ran fine.

I have checked voltages and they are in spec with the service manual. I have changed spark plugs and they were okay. Fuel pressure is running at 39 PSI. I removed the throttle body and cleaned it last week just to see if that would change anything. Machine idles at 1100 rpm. I'm at a loss.

I have no service codes, nor temp or battery warning lights indicating any problems there

Old 04-02-2014, 11:23 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

Read the "sticky" post in the Polaris expert section on 700/800 efi problems.Sounds like what a short in the tbap connector and wire harness would do. Usually when it's hard to idle,back fires,it's a sensor harness problem,not the sensors themselves.You can have chaffed wires or can have a soft wire broken internally.Codes may or may not be thrown. Replaced a lot of Polaris tps/tbap sensor harness kits that wouldn't last. This place is mentioned in the sticky post to where stronger harness kits are available.Only The Best

Old 04-03-2014, 07:17 PM
Weekend Warrior

Pulled it out of the garage today and the machine ran noticeably worse. I put a fuel pressure gauge on it while running around and maintained a constant 40 psi. While driving today form the get go it reminds me a polaris atv running in reverse with the rev limiter kicking in. Just keeps missing. I checked the wires tonight and found two that had been partially rubbed thru by the frame. Do to this could I be looking at a new sensor also since it grounded out?

Last edited by shawbran; 04-03-2014 at 08:49 PM. Reason: Correction
Old 04-04-2014, 10:48 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

NO! Just the harness pig tail and connector leading to the sensor. Rarely did we have to replace sensors at the shop unless they were tampered with. Remember Only The Best

Old 04-04-2014, 06:00 PM
Weekend Warrior

So I fixed the harness. Benefits of working in a electronics repair shop. Still runs the same. Now what?

Old 04-04-2014, 06:11 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

Originally Posted by shawbran
So I fixed the harness. Benefits of working in a electronics repair shop. Still runs the same. Now what?
There's more than one sensor! Check the tps harness also along with the crank sensor harness and wiring that runs under the throttle body.If all else fails you may have to have it put on Digital Wrench to find the source of the problem.

Old 04-04-2014, 10:32 PM
Weekend Warrior

Getting a 41 code. Also old polaris tech I could not find the sticky that you mentioned.

Old 04-05-2014, 06:33 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

Code 41 shows air temp open or short to ground. Usually if a t bap (map) sensor harness wiring or connector is the problem you'll get a code 41,43,45 or sometimes all three. Not only is the wiring too thin and causes problems,but the connector itself may have pins that will pull out slightly breaking contact with the sensor. The Polaris connectors and wiring are basically junk! Here's the link that shows the problems,codes and solution to this harness problem.Wish I'd had this option before I installed all those Polaris sensor harness repair kits that kept failing because they used the same thin wires and connectors. Plus remember Only The Best that's mentioned to get heavy duty repair kits.http://forums.atvconnection.com/pola...ap-wiring.html

Old 04-07-2014, 04:56 PM
Weekend Warrior

I found that my spark plug wires are bad. One was rusted in the boot that hooks to the coil and Ohmed out at 2.5K vs factory 5K and the other 2.75K vs 5K. That was after fixing the harness and it finding it still ran bad.

Old 04-07-2014, 08:23 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

Originally Posted by shawbran
I found that my spark plug wires are bad. One was rusted in the boot that hooks to the coil and Ohmed out at 2.5K vs factory 5K and the other 2.75K vs 5K. That was after fixing the harness and it finding it still ran bad.
Glad you found the problem,but when you have any other problems,don't forget the link to heavier harness kits and connectors. The tbap harness that's mounted on the air boot of the Ranger takes a lot of abuse and vibration as it routes under the bed into the main harness.I know cause I changed way too many of them. Good luck.

Quick Reply: 2008 Polaris Ranger 700XP not running right