Polaris Side by Sides Talk about the tough Polaris Sport and Utility

2003 Polaris Ranger

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2017, 03:38 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2003 Polaris Ranger

Hi, I am looking at one of these to purchase, is there anything with this year/make that I should know about? Any known issues with this make / model?

Old 07-04-2017, 04:10 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

Used the 425 engine on 2003 and 2004 models.Normally dependable,but you're looking at a 14 year old machine that may or may not need work.If you buy it get the service manual also.2003 Polaris Ranger 4X4 Service Manual PDF Download

Old 07-04-2017, 05:02 PM
Trailblazer

Thanks, OPT. This one seems in good condition and well maintained (at least to a non-mechanic). I dont expect it to be perfect but need to use it a few times a year. Are they adequately powered? Can I fit 3 people in it if I need to? Anything (mechanically) to look for? It has 493 hours.

Old 07-04-2017, 07:46 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

You can snug in three if you have to. Put the skinniest one in the middle. The one major thing(some did some didn't) was have excessive cam exhaust lobe wear. That's been covered many times over and not that big of deal if it comes to changing a cam out later on.Plus plenty of aftermarket cams now. There will be normal wear items such as drive shafts,prop shaft u-joints,ball joints,and clutch and belt wear. Just look it over and you can usually tell if it's been treated decent or not. The manual will come in handy on any repairs plus service items and fluids needed. Plenty of power for most situations.

Old 07-05-2017, 01:37 PM
Trailblazer

Thanks again OPT. I just want it to take my boys for a ride

But of course I will occasionally ask it to get me into a backwoods lake to do some fishing..

How are these on the trail, being that they are a solid axle? Again, not my #1 use for it, but is it trail - capable? Are they Tipsy?

Old 07-05-2017, 02:58 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

Of course being a straight axle the ride will be a little rougher than the later irs models. Tipsy? Depends on how fast, what kind of terrain you're on. You can get hurt on any machine no matter what year model or brand if you're going too fast. Trail riding shouldn't be a problem. You just have to drive according to the trail conditions.Straight fire roads you can open one up,winding trails,no. Just takes common sense on any machine. One other thing,parking brakes wasn't the best on this model.Constantly needed adjusting so you might take note of that if you depend on using the parking brake a lot.No speedo or fancy electronics,just an hr meter. Plus forgot that the 2x4 used the 425 engine. The 4x4 had the 500cc engine.

Last edited by old polaris tech; 07-05-2017 at 03:07 PM. Reason: 4x4 500...