Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Adjusting rebound on my pred

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2003, 12:29 PM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Adjusting rebound on my pred

I was trying to adjust the rebound on my pred. and the owners manual says that out of the 20 clicks on the adjuster, it is set on 10 from the factory. Well I got to playing around with it at the track and wasn't paying attention as to where in the "20" clicks it was. The next day I just figured that I would run it all the way down to where the rebound was soft and start from there, but the dial kept going and going. I counted like 50 or 55 clicks on it. Now I have no idea where I'm at in the "20 clicks" from the book. Does it matter or does anyone have a suggestion. Thanks, Jared

Old 06-03-2003, 03:55 PM
Pro Rider

When sitting behind the quad turn it left (counter-clockwise) till it is fully closed , you will no because it wont turn anymore. That will be the slowest rebound, from there turn it right till you get it like you want. I have mine set a 8 clicks from fully closed. 12 clicks just about sent me over the bars one fine day.

Old 06-03-2003, 04:30 PM
Pro Rider

Correction 99BB, as you are standing behind the quad, turn the rebound clockwise (right), to close. Close it all the way, and like 99bb said, it won't turn anymore. Then turn it counter-clockwise or "left" to open or speed up the rebound. Count the clicks. You are correct that you can go to like 50 some clicks, but once you are past 20, there isn't really a change becuase it is basically wide open and at it's fastest setting. If you are a slow trail rider, a faster rebound setting gives a soft ride at 20 clicks from closed. But if you are a faster rider, you will want it closed down more so it doesn't kick. To accurately adjust, start at 20 from closed and take some small hops at low speeds, if the quad kicks the rear end up, close it a click, and keep doing this until the quad no longer kicks going over the jump. if you close it too much, the rear end will "pack up" or not rebound quick enough...but if you start with it open and close it until it just starts not to kick anymore...you should be set. Always remember to make one change at a time so you aren't confused as to which change benefited the most. Compression is the same. Start at 1 which is softest setting. Go over some small whoops and if you feel the shock topping out travel, increase to 2. Increase the compression until it just starts to not top out. The idea is to use all your travel without topping out. But if you limit full travel use, it will be a very harsh ride. Set your rebound first, then compression.

Old 06-03-2003, 05:01 PM
Elite Pro Rider

Also, you can play around with the spring pre-load and work wonders. With any of the shocks fully extended, don't loosen past 11.875" though.

Old 06-03-2003, 11:29 PM
Pro Rider

Pudl- You had told me that the correct way was clockwise to close before but mine is just the opposite. It is definately counter to close- slow, and right to speed up the rebound. Is mine just different or what? Modquad how does yours adjust. This could be very interesting if they turn up different on different machines.

Old 06-03-2003, 11:54 PM
Pro Rider

That is very interesting. The polaris manual states clockwise, and everyother rebound I've ever delt with is the same. I've never heard of one closing by turning counter clockwise. Try this BB, turn your rebound one way or the other, which ever you think is fully closed, and when you think you are fully closed on rebound, (also change compression to 1 so it is easier to compress suspension), push down on the back with your hands as hard as you can, if rebound is completely closed, the suspension should almost try to hold itself from returning to normal position. Try that out and let me know what you find?!?

Old 06-04-2003, 12:29 AM
Elite Pro Rider

Mine is just how Pudl, and both manuals describe. That sure is wierd. It's on page 153 of the owner's manual and 2.25 in the maint. manual. Maybe double check.

Old 06-04-2003, 09:33 AM
Range Rover

I will try it again tonight. All I know is that if I turn the **** all the way clockwise, the shock doesn't want to return as fast, which is the opposite of what the manual says. I turned it all the way counter-clockwise and the shock is bouncier. Nice word huh. hehehehe This might get interesting. Thanks for the info guys.

Old 06-04-2003, 11:21 AM
Pro Rider

Haulin, if it's "bouncier" going counter-clockwise, that is speeding up the rebound. Turn your rebound **** all the way clockwise or right so fully close the rebound, count back 20 clicks from there, then go out to a small jump somewhere and just keep clicking it closed 1 click at a time until the rear end stops kicking, that will help set your rebound. I'm setting about 6-7 clicks from fully closed, and I think modquad is somewhere in the same ballpark. Good luck, just keep posting if you are still confused!

Old 06-04-2003, 12:15 PM
Range Rover

Got it man. That sounds right to me. I'm going to Utah for 10 days so I'll have to try it when I get back. I'll let you know what setting it ends up at. Thanks again.

Jared

Quick Reply: Adjusting rebound on my pred