Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Broken Predator Engine? HELP.

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2003, 03:17 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Broken Predator Engine? HELP.

Hey Guys,
Took my Predator on a 4wheeling trip and began riding in Oak Ridge, TN at the Windrock ATV park. Rode for about 10-15 minutes and turned the motor off with the key to talk to a friend. Went to start it again and the starter wouldn't turn the engine over. It seemed like the battery was low and was just cutting out. So I tried to pull start it and jump start it to no avail.

I pulled the two side covers and everything seemed to be in fine shape. There is a nut you can turn which will turn the engine over. I couldn't move the engine counter clockwise at all but was able to rotate almost a complete revolution clockwise and then you could feel something hitting something. It feels kinda like a rod bolt backed out and is hitting something. So basically I can turn the motor about 9/10's of a rotation in one way and then it will hit and not go any further. You can go the other way until it hits again in the same spot...any ideas? I know the crank is two piece but I don't know what the inside of this motor looks like to guess on what is wrong. I'm really bummed.

At first I thought the engine was hydro locked. So I pulled the spark plug and still couldn't get the engine to turn over. Then I realized it was rotate clockwise and stop in the same spot. The starter works fine when I pulled the side cover off.

CJ

Old 06-05-2003, 03:27 PM
Elite Pro Rider

Take it to your dealer, especially if it's under warranty.

Old 06-05-2003, 03:41 PM
Weekend Warrior

I will definately be getting it fixed under warranty but I'd like to find out what went wrong. I'd imagine someone else has had the same problem. This sucks.

Old 06-05-2003, 04:34 PM
Pro Rider

Just a guess but it sounds like a valve is either broken off or a valve spring is broken. I would bet that it is stopping just before TDC and that should be the only things up there to hit.

Chris

Old 06-05-2003, 04:43 PM
Weekend Warrior

That's a good guess. It is definately making compression, I thought it would be on the bottom end....what would cause this!

Old 06-05-2003, 05:45 PM
Pro Rider

bad assembly engine and parts,talk to your dealer...

Old 06-05-2003, 07:32 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: onetontj
It seemed like the battery was low and was just cutting out. So I tried to pull start it and jump start it to no avail.
CJ
Just curious how you pull started it? Do you mean you towed it and tried to pop it in gear?

Old 06-05-2003, 11:12 PM
Range Rover

Hey the predator dosent have a pull start!!!![img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-disgusted.gif[/img]

Old 06-05-2003, 11:22 PM
Elite Pro Rider

I'm hoping that's what was meant, and not someone waisting our time.

Old 06-06-2003, 01:46 AM
Weekend Warrior

Yes, I'm talking a regular old pull start. I'm just trying to point out that it wasn't a starter issue. It can't be a broken valve...it builds compression. Someone has got to have heard of a predator bottom end gettiung screwed up. This totally blows. I brought my fourwheeler on a week long 4 wheeling vacation and it dies in the first 15 minutes. WTF! You'd expect more after dropping $6000 on a toy.

CJ

Quick Reply: Broken Predator Engine? HELP.