Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Federal Law and Marketing: Scrambler 50 / Predator 90

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2003, 11:10 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Federal Law and Marketing: Scrambler 50 / Predator 90

Okay, I stopped at a Polaris dealer the other day on the way to my in-laws. After looking through the brochure I decided I wanted ot get my daughters a Predator 90. At the same time, I figured I'd pick up my wife and I a Trail Boss 330.

We went back with one daughter in tow. While talking to the dealer, I expressed an interest in the Predator 90. In the brochure it talks about being designed for children 6 and up. He says to me that he cannot sell me the 90, Federal Law prohitibs him from doing so and that the only model he would sell me is the Scrambler 50. At the time, my 8 year old is sitting on the Predator 90 and seems to fit very well on it (she is tall for her age). When she gets on the Scrambler 50 she complains it is too small (an older model). But, I assumed that we were out of luck, so placed an order for a Scrambler 50 (which we have not paid for as waiting on his next delivery this week).

Since then, I've gone back over the brochure and, indeed, I am led to believe that it is designed for 6 year olds and up. Now I go to this webpage on the Polaris website which was pointed out by another member here:

http://www.polarisindustries.com/pro...KIDSPREDATOR90

And, again I see that the list of options says it is designed for 6 year olds.

So, I ask you - is this some kind of marketing gimmick to get me into the showroom only to push me into buying a smaller unit? I'm starting to feel like maybe I'm being mismarketed to and am a little annoyed.

I like that the 90 has a governer that I can set low for the girls and progress with them as they grow. My 8 year old seems to fit better in the 90 than the 50.

I dont suppose anyone can explain to me the marketing differences here and give me a little guidence - should I let it go and just take the 50 or should I make a case that the 90 is being marketed to youths and should be sold as such?

Old 06-16-2003, 12:08 AM
Trailblazer

the scrambler 50 is suggested for ages 6-12 and the predator 90 is for 12-16 I personally think its a bogus regulation but its not law in most states. My dealer sold me a sportsman 90 for my 6 year old son and never said a word about him not being old enough but I am pretty good friends with the dealer. I would suggest going to another dealer and not telling him how old the kids riding the bike are. The age suggestions aren't a vry good thing to go by they should use height and weight as requirements instead. hope this helps.

Old 06-16-2003, 12:13 AM
Pro Rider

My ex's daughter was driving (sitting in front of her mom) a 250 Trailboss when she was 6. By the time she was 9, she was driving it on her own. Never had a problem.

Old 06-16-2003, 04:07 PM
Weekend Warrior

I called today and was basically told the website is in error (an oversight) and should not be showing the 6 year old and up as a feature. The main product pages state 12 and up.

Old 06-16-2003, 04:56 PM
Pro Rider

Cancel the 50. Go to a different dealer without your kid and buy the 90. Tell them it's for a 12year old. They won't check, they don't care.

They're right that they can't KNOWINGLY sell you a 90 for an 8 year old, though.

Old 06-16-2003, 07:57 PM
Pro Rider

Cancel the 50. Go to a different dealer without your kid and buy the 90. Tell them it's for a 12year old. They won't check, they don't care.
Couldn't agree more.

Old 06-16-2003, 08:06 PM
Pro Rider

Go with the 90. Its a price difference of only $300.

Old 04-03-2005, 10:06 AM
Weekend Warrior

just go back in and tell them you are buying it for your 12 old kid! thats what we ended up doing

Old 04-03-2005, 11:53 AM
Elite Pro Rider

why dont u just buy a used one from sopmeone privately? find one that is like one year old, and buy it. the guy wont care who buys it, as long as he sells it. thats what i would do. and it would be cheaper.

Old 04-03-2005, 12:21 PM
Trailblazer

This is just more legislation based on idiots. An ATV is not a babysitter......people who let their kids go without the proper experience and supervision got us all these nice "rules" to live by because their kids got hurt. Accidents happen, some of us adults occaisionally get hurt, but if kids get hurt every anti- quad/motorcycle group gets involved.

Buy a quad that fits your kids height, weight, and maturity.... and get one for your wife and another for you...and have some great family fun.

remember that B.S. from the last administration about it takes a village to raise a child?? It really doesn't, all it takes is loving caring parents.... the rest of the 'village" needs to butt out.

Quick Reply: Federal Law and Marketing: Scrambler 50 / Predator 90