Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

HELP!! Scrambler Headlight mod

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2003, 04:06 PM
Elite Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HELP!! Scrambler Headlight mod

Ok guys, I need some help here. I removed my old headlights and am replacing them with some 55wtPilot driving lights. Now the problem that I am running into is with the wiring. I would like to just tap into the existingheadlight wiring instead of redoing it all. There are 2 wires coming off each light. A black one and a white one. The black is ground and the white is the trigger wire. The stock wiring harness has 3 wires per light. A brown, yellow and green. Which one is ground? Can I connect the white wire to the other 2 wires and have the lights come on for high and low beam? Or how else should I do this? Do I need the inline fuse to the battery as well as the relay or am I alright without them? Will the stock wires take the extra current? Thanks

Old 06-27-2003, 04:36 PM
Elite Pro Rider

Update: I loosely connected the yellow, green, and white wires together and grounded the black one on the handler bar clamo bolt. Much to my delight, the light came on in low and high beam.So I am guessing that all I have to do is connect the 3 wires together aand ground out the black wires and I am set? I still have a few concerns though. What do I do with the brown wire? What is it there for? Also, will the rest of the stock wiring be able to handle 55wt light? Thanks

Old 06-27-2003, 04:40 PM
Pro Rider

The brown wire is the ground. Hook the black to it. Just twist the yellow and green together and hook them to the white. The stock wiring will handle the 55 watt bulbs in the pilot lights. I run 55 watt bulbs in mine and have not had any problems.

Old 06-27-2003, 04:45 PM
Elite Pro Rider

Thats what I needed to know. Thanks

Old 06-27-2003, 04:50 PM
Elite Pro Rider

Take your time with the connections. I always try to solder them followed by heat shrink tubing to insulate them. Take the extra time to do it right, and the lights should always work like the stockers. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img] There's also the liquid electrical tape, I think Menard's and Home Depot both have it.

Old 06-27-2003, 07:43 PM
Weekend Warrior

425Xpedition I was just looking at ypur pics i love the look of your scrambler what wheel and tire combo are you using and did you have to use a lift kit? How do you like the big tires ? do they rob alot of power or wear out parts fast? I would like to dress mine up like this but right now it is bone stock

Old 06-27-2003, 08:48 PM
Pro Rider

In those pictures I was running 28x12.5 Outlaws. I now run 27x12 Vampires. To help it pull the tires I put a hi-lo range tranny in it. Also running an HPD exhaust and carb kit. It turns the tires with ease. I run a 2" lift on the front and crank the rear shock up all the way. Does not really wear any parts faster than normal. With the low range tranny you can putt around and just barely use the throttle in the mudholes.

Old 06-27-2003, 11:21 PM
Elite Pro Rider

Should I solder the wires together or use connections? If I solder them then I won't be able to take the lights off without cutting the wires, because the wires don't unplug from the housing. Or should I just use connectors?

Old 06-28-2003, 01:35 AM
Pro Rider

You might to try something like this...the dolphin splicers...

I'd probably go witha splice and not solder since you may want to change things later....and if you're not too good with solder you could end up causing trouble...

There are some better splicers that telephone repairmen use but I don't know what they are called....they are just small "buttons" with some kind of either diaelectric grease or something inside them, you just slip the 2 ends in this thing and thensnap it down. They are round and usually the part you snap down is red. They also come in these long sliding plastic "rails" to keep them from getting damaged.

I'd say and good electric store or better hardware store would help you out.

Old 06-28-2003, 01:43 AM
Elite Pro Rider

I have a bunch of snap plug(?) connectors left over from the wiring on my harley. I think that I will solder the wires into the connectors and plug them in. That shoud do the trick. I am excited to see how these lights work. I need something better for the night trips. These Pilots are the 55wt HID simulated driving lights. They should do the trick.

Quick Reply: HELP!! Scrambler Headlight mod