Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

my 700 in a mud run

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2003, 12:33 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default my 700 in a mud run

Ok tell me what you think.Thursday in Vandalia Missouri at the fair there having an atv mud run so I thought I would take my 700 up there and see what she can do.Now my son wants to ride it and he gos about 130lbs now what I not sure about is should I have him in high or low gear Im thinking at 130lbs In high he could really get them tires spining and stay up om top of the mud.Ive been in the mud many many times but never a mud run up against other atvs.If any of you guys out there have been in these things with your sportsmans what gear did you run it in...Thanks

Old 07-09-2003, 03:02 AM
Pro Rider

I dont have a 700 wish I did but dont have the $moo la$,anyways,We had a mud run last saturday,I go to them about everytime there is one,I take my 250 trailblazer and my 300 xpress to them.Everybody down there I talk to runs in hi.

Old 07-11-2003, 09:31 AM
Trailblazer

Bill35
I would definitely run in hi. In the manual I believe is says something about not running the quad over 7 mph when in lo. This may harm the belt. Good Luck in the mud run

dbass

Old 07-11-2003, 07:57 PM
Pro Rider

Well it was a good night for polaris there was 26 quads in all over the many classes.11 of witch where in the 500 and up 4+4 class and my son came in 3rd place making it though the 60ft mud pit in 5.2 sec the top to were both 4+4 scramblers.My son rode much better then I ever thought he could hes becoming quiet a good rider.I took alot of pictures Il post them when I get them back.Polaris had a great showing.After it was over a guy riding a 660grzz came over to tell my son.good job looked at our 700 and said thats my next quad.It was more of a mud race the mud was only about 6in deep.All in all a very fun night.Now were trying to find the next mud race.....

Old 07-15-2003, 02:18 PM
Trailblazer

thats all the i ride is in the mud! my friend has a 500h.o and on a steep incline in the mud like a rut you need low for that low end torch. but on flat land you need high to get those beefy rawhides ripping in the mud!!! i weigh 135 and weight on a true all wheel drive polaris it is not an issue and as long as he keeps the speed up and those tires turning he will have no problem winning !!!!

Old 07-15-2003, 10:42 PM
Pro Rider

The mud run I go to, which is actually more of a "mud bog" competition involves about 2 feet of slop with a steep incline to get out the end. Low range works much better in this much mud, and high range will often slip the belt when you try to climb out the end. But it sounds like what your talking about is more of a race than a contest to see who makes it the farthest. Our mud pits are dug out by an excavator (trackhoe to you southern boys) side by side with about a six foot wall at the end to make it really tough to get out. I have seen a lot of belt driven machines fail to get out because they were in high. I also saw a bunch of Grizzlies that could only spin 3 wheels, even though they have this 4x4 with diff lock stuff. Polaris were obviously the ones to beat, most of the stock Sportsmans could make it, except for some reason the 400. Some of the modded Grizzlies couldn't make it! Even my wife made it through on the Scram 500 4x4, course that was high range only, so it was going a little faster than I think was wise. LOL

Old 07-15-2003, 11:59 PM
Pro Rider

Thats what I was thinking it was going to be like northstar.But after I seen the pit it was 6 to 12 in deep.A few guys got stuck but must went right though.My son useing high gear was able to stay right on top.Im hoping to find one like the one you were talking about...