Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

SP 500 HO

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2003, 02:53 AM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default SP 500 HO

Okay sometimes...likes every 1 out of 4 times i put it in reverse and I got to back up the handle bar will kick to the side hard and it's almost impposible to keep it from turning all the way. Can anyone explain this?
It also squeaks really bad after it gets wet. It sounds like something that could be lubed up. By the way it only has like 18 miles on it.

Old 07-11-2003, 09:26 AM
Pro Rider
Default SP 500 HO

The handlebars pulling to one side is the 4wd wedging in on one side and not the other, happens from time to time. Just put it back in drive and then try reversing again to see if it is gone. The squeking could be alot of things, if it is more of a clicking than a squeking at low speeds, then it is the ebs working and is normal.

Old 07-11-2003, 07:14 PM
Trailblazer
Default SP 500 HO

No the squeaking isn't the ebs because it does it when I'm accelerating too.

Old 07-12-2003, 03:00 AM
Pro Rider
Default SP 500 HO

The 4WD system will lock one side or the other from time to time, to clear it turn off the AWD put it in reverse and while going backwards turn the handle bars from side to side. Put it back in Hi or Lo and off you go. If it happens often then there could be a problem with the armature plate.
01's are notorious for suspension squeaks. Mine had this problem which was fixed by the dealer under warranty the first time the second time I had to fix it myself. What I did was dismantle the front suspension and using a silicone base grease I greased everything in the spring swivel area at the top of the spring. Then reassemble it, The squeak is gone for now but I'm sure it will be back next year.

Old 07-15-2003, 02:08 PM
Trailblazer
Default SP 500 HO

hey, when you have a polaris in four wheel drive and it want ingage till the rear wheels spin. maybe the fron tires arnt fully ingaging and its pulling off to one side! my friend has a 500 h.o and we had it stuck over a stump and he took it out of awd one of the tires want kick out and he has to turn the wheels back and forth a couple of times and it will kick out so that might be your problem!!!

Old 07-15-2003, 02:17 PM
Trailblazer
Default SP 500 HO

It happened when I was just backing up on level dry ground...no spinning or anything. But it hasn't happened since I wrote this...so maybe it wont happen again.

Old 07-15-2003, 06:55 PM
Pro Rider
Default SP 500 HO

this problem usually only occurs when going forward just after reversing. with only 18 mi. on your quad, plus squeaking, it's possible that one of your front hubs made it through the factory without being lubed. i wouldn't ride it again until i checked it.

Trending Topics

Old 07-16-2003, 10:46 AM
Range Rover
Default SP 500 HO

Derk
Nothing to worry about, as the AWD system sometimes needs the backing up to help disengage the system.
Do as others have stated,"backing up and moving the bars back and forth"

I don't have to do this very often, and nothing to worry about..

My wifes 2001 500HO is a squeaker, her brakes will drive me nuts,
\Going to pull them and deglaze the pads, and see it that helps...........